refurbished 5.5g ipod?
Apr 5, 2009 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dyoon89

New Head-Fier
what does refurbished actually mean in this case? i'm looking for a 5.5g ipod because apparently there's no wolfson dac in newer ipods. i was told that bad sound quality from newer ipods are so noticeable that lossless collection along with my UE is pretty much useless. is this really true? and also is refurbished ipod exactly same as the original one (includes wolfson dac)?

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dyoon89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what does refurbished actually mean in this case? i'm looking for a 5.5g ipod because apparently there's no wolfson dac in newer ipods. i was told that bad sound quality from newer ipods are so noticeable that lossless collection along with my UE is pretty much useless. is this really true? and also is refurbished ipod exactly same as the original one (includes wolfson dac)?

I don't think the new ones are that bad. But to me the reason to get a 5.5G iPod is to do the iMod to it, so you can get the best sound out of an LOD that is available from an iPod. Otherwise, I'd just buy a new 6G Classic.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 10
Depending on the source. Sometime is a matter of luck if it's going to last

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 10
My classic 160gb has good sound, a little underpowered like all ipods after the stick shuffle in my opinion, but I only listen to lossless files and they sound good. An additional amp is helpful.

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

what does refurbished actually mean in this case?

Are you talking about buying a refurbished ipod from Apple?

If so, then you will be buying an ipod that was returned to apple for an undisclosed reason.

The ipod was repaired. Anything blemished was most likely replaced and the ipod would have undergone a number of tests to validate the repairs and assure the device looks and operates like new.

Then the refurbished ipod is sold for a discounted price and usually comes with a full manufacturer's warranty, just like a new ipod.

One should not confuse refurbished with open box.

Open box means that the device is a customer return to the retailer for an undisclosed reason. The item has not been returned to the manufacturer. The retailer might have performed some sort of check on the device or the retailer might not have. Sometimes, open box means that parts are not included. A remote, for instance, might be missing and not included in the sale. Most retailers are upfront about missing items, documenting the missing item on the sale tag. But not always.

If the item is returned because it has malfunctioned, then the retailer might contact the vendor and the vendor will send a representative to "test" the device and repair the item (in the case of large appliances) or do whatever they need to do to sell the item.

The retailer then will sell the device for a discounted price, usually with a full manufacturer's warranty, playing the statistics game, hoping that the buyer will deal with the manufacturer instead of the retailer should an issue arise.

Buying a refurbished item from a manufacturer is a great way to get something for a great price. I've bought a few different things as refurbished and haven't had any issues with them that I wouldn't have had with a new item. I just saved a lot of cash.

However, I generally shy away from Open box items unless the deal is really super AND I am confident that should something be awry, the retailer will replace the item or refund my money. I have had the experience of an open box item being not usable and the retailer did exchange the non working item for a brand new item. However, by the time i had invested the time of a second trip to the retailer, a few hours playing around with the device, connecting, disconnecting and reconnecting the device, the aggravation of standing in line and the general hassle of the whole ordeal, I didn't feel like I had saved anything at all.

Apr 7, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dyoon89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... i was told that bad sound quality from newer ipods are so noticeable that lossless collection along with my UE is pretty much useless. is this really true? ...

You make it sound like the newer (6g) ipods are the worst disaster in audio design history. This is as far from the truth as it can get. It is a very solid DAP with an admittedly decent sound quality (in fact, great sq to these ears)

Apr 7, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 10
I bought a refurbished 5.5 80gig for the same reason the DAC .The first one had a noisy line out sent it back and got one that has worked great.I use lossless music files, line out silver cable, to my tube headphone amp and holly molly!! Good Luck....

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 10
I wish I could use an iMod in my freaking car...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back