Reference Quality Chopin?
Jul 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #16 of 28
I second the Rubinstein recs, he is perhaps the best interpreter of Chopin ever.  But sound quality is good but not super great.

Zimmerman is one of the few that equal Rubinstein and he has first rate sound, check it out:

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
I second the Rubinstein recs, he is perhaps the best interpreter of Chopin ever.  But sound quality is good but not super great.

Zimmerman is one of the few that equal Rubinstein and he has first rate sound, check it out:

X2. I probably did not hear the best Rubinstein recordings; however the one that I heard was of so-so recording quality. There is no doubt about Rubinstein's skills though.

Thanks Tyson for recommending Krystian Zimerman. He has performed some solo piano works by Liszt, Debussy and Schubert as well!

I heard this version of Chopin Nocturnes by Yundi. Sound quality is quite good. Yundi (aka Li, Yundi) won the International Chopin Piano Competition at age 18.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #18 of 28
I love chopin's piano works and i have 2 collections of Rubinsteins work but the recording quality isnt what I call the best out there :/

Does anybody have any recommendations on chopin recordings that are both played well but also recorded well too?

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #19 of 28
Rubinstein recorded the Chopin catalog three times. The first was in the 78 era and was a fiery, more daredevil approach. His second cycle was in the hifi era, and that one is wonderful. Perfect mono sound, which is best for piano music on speakers. The last set was on Living Stereo and is among the best sound ever put on record. By this time, Rubinstein was magisterial, with formidable technique and complete mastery of the subleties of the music. in particular, the 60s Nocturnes have never been equalled.

You need to look at the recording dates. You want the cycle recorded in 1961-1963 or so. I have the complete Rubinstein box set and without question, he was one of the giants of the 20th century. No one compares. Before him, Chopin was seen as puny music for little old ladies with lace doilies. Rubinstein saw Chopin's music for what it was... an expression of the Polish people. And if you know anything about Polish history, you know how deep that runs.

Even if he was recorded poorly, Rubinstein would still be a first choice. But luckily, he was recognized in his time and got the finest engineers and equipment available. His career spanned the entire 20th century, and the complete box set is 170 CDs. You need to know what you're buying if you want his most recent recordings.

That said, if you like Chopin, you owe it to yourself to get Rubinstein's Moscow concert. He was asked to play in Russia and was reluctant because of the bad blood between Poland and Russia. He eventually decided to go, and the concert was captured by two local TV cameras. It is one of the most electrifying performances ever. He went on stage to perform a program of Chopin and ended up channelling the defiance and bravery of the Polish people into the music. The nocturnes and etudes are spectacular, and the performance culminated in the Heroique Polanaise- a performance that has to be seen to be believed. The video is available at Netflix and Amazon, and it's the single greatest live classical performance on video.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Archive-Rubinstein-Legendary-Recital/dp/B001IMFHVG/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1348787551

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #20 of 28
Thanks for the exposure to more music, bigshot! I'm going to have to select this DVD and move it to the top of my queue (NFLX).

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #21 of 28
If its quality of sound I would go for Ashkenazy, Kissin or Perahia

For performance it would be have to be Rubinstein or Ashkenazy

There are many great interpreters of Chopin so pick the one that touches your sole 
regular_smile .gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #23 of 28
I have Ashkenazy. It's a solid set. Perahia is great for Mozart piano concertos.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #24 of 28
Sep 28, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #25 of 28
Rubinstein is great music wise, but not so much sound wise.
El Bacha and Ohlsson are two complete set with modern sound.
But they are just good in terms of recording quality as 1990-2000 standard.

For the Nocturnes, try Pollini's recent recording in DG.
http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Nocturnes-Frederic/dp/B000B8ISNM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1348839502&sr=8-5&keywords=pollini+chopin
This is really superb recording with outstanding play.

Pollini's etudes in 1990 is also great in music and good in recording.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #26 of 28
His nocturnes is god send.
This is a recording you will keep complain about the recording sound.
The play is such a beauty that you will wish the recording engineer do a better job (not that he/she did a bad job).
Moravec's touch is very delicate, you will crave for better sound quality.
Quote:
What about Ivan Moravec?  Any particulars that stand out?

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #27 of 28
I don't know what you guys are hearing when you say bad sound. What headphones are you using to listen with?

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #28 of 28
I know this is several months old, but I'm interested... as far as performance of Chopin's Nocturnes, I would have to go with Ivan Moravec and Abbey Simon. Moravec has more of that timely fuzz in the background of older recordings, so Simon would be my pick for the balance of performance and sound quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back