Refabricating hd800 using solid CARBON FIBER . Anyone with tips on how to completely disassemble an HD800
Dec 16, 2010 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stainless824

100+ Head-Fier
Intending to make molds of individual parts and refabricating them using carbon fibre 8h satin weave. Just not a fan of the painted plastic look and want to improve the hd800 aesthetically as well as perhaps even improving the sonic properties as well. Going to use vaccuum bag resin infusion. Will experiment carbon fiber use in conjunction to kevlar. Maybe sandwich 1 or 2 layers of kevlar in between to add to the dampening properties. A black carbon fiber hd800 would look badass IMO

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 7
I agree, that would look drop dead sexy, but I have no idea how you would go about disassembling it for that use.  I'll keep myself checked up on this thread to see advancements.  This could be very cool.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 7
Refabrication will be a pain as many of the hd800 parts have to be made into 2 halves then fused together afterwards to make the component (halves need to be made to release the cured carbon fiber from the mold) this would open up opportunities to sandwich various materials though, like suggested above, kevlar which is used in speaker cones due to its rigid structure and weight. So far, the only disassembly i've ever seen is taking off the pads and removing the cable and some of the leona plastic to do a hard wire. Looks like everyone is understandably scared of ruining their investment. After removal of pads however you can see screws (only seen pics so far as i'm getting my hd800 some time next week) which look kind of like torx screws or something like that (use of allen key perhaps). Cant wait to massacre my hd800 but would appreciate some guiding words so that I dont botch it up and waste a grand and a half. Another concern is the making of the mold itself, hope the releasing agent doesnt pull off any paint as I want to keep the original parts in good condition. Not interested in the vinyl stuff that you stick onto the surfaces to give a carbon fiber look. Has to be the real deal. Good news is once the mold is made, I can keep reusing it to make new parts, experiment with silver alufiber or hybrid weaves to create colour effects and acoustic properties of various weaves such as plain, twill and satin. Got the idea from seeing my friend's carbon fiber violin he bought for 5 grand. Sounded very lively in comparison to his old wood one.
http://www.luisandclark.com/

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #4 of 7
with HD800 already having borderline resonance in the upper end, I think you are in danger of making a headphone that is impossible to listen to. rigid isnt always better when it comes to acoustics and IMO the HD800 does not need to be made more 'lively'; it will indeed look amazing so i'll watch on, but I will register my concern now.

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Discussion redirected
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528604/tips-on-how-to-disassemble-the-hd800-refabricating-it-using-solid-carbon-fiber/30#post_7140877

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Found this from another thread. Its a start i guess

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Found this on another thread. Its a start i guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back