Ref 9 ( PCM1704UK multibit-dac ) vs. FUN (DA1852 1-bit dac), both audio-gd, short impression
Sep 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ursdiego

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody.

I know, the comparison is unfair.

The Ref 9 was roughly 1300 US$, if I remember well, for "only" a DAC. And it weighs 15 kg. Details are here: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE9/RE9EN.htm

The FUN costs not even 400 US$ (without shipping). It arrived last week. It has DIR9001 digital input filter and Earth-OPA in it.

However, the differences were much more striking than I expected. Given that it is "only" the DAC, and the rest of the chain remained untouched. Well, there is still one disadvantage of the FUN that has to be mentioned: I connected it to the preamp-out, as it is said in slim.a's famous review, that it sounds better this way than using the direct dac-out (http://www.head-fi.org/t/468522/review-of-the-audio-gd-fun-a-modular-dac-headphone-amp-preamp). Kingwa sais the same.

The FUN sounds fine, no doubt, in any case, for the price. However, comparing it to my Ref 9, it sounds less detailed, sound stage is smaller, sound is generally warmer and closer, more mid-range, less precise deep bass and highs. Maybe more involving at first sight, the first impression is more intimate. But only the first impression. Sound is striking and direct, but does not really involve, does not awake feelings.

I must admit, it took me some time to get used to Ref 9's sound, when I got it last year. At first, the Ref 9 seemed to me almost too detailed and too analyzing, too "filigrane". But now, it has burned in, and my ears got used to it, and I prefer of course now Ref 9. This is quite normal, considering the different price category.

But still, and that's what I want to point out. After listening to FUN for a while, I just don't get this "close to natural", or "live" feeling that the Ref 9 can transmit. It is not about more or less bass or details or sound stage. It is kind of a "digital distance". The sound did just not "reach" me, the illusion of being in front of the live musician was not achievable. I switched back to Ref 9 - and the really involving feeling was there again, immediately.

I wonder very much, if this is also due to the different technology used in the dac-chips. The PCM 1704 UK is a Multibit- / "R-2R- design. Versus the DELTA-SIGMA- / 1-Bit DAC-chip-design used in the AD1852 - Chip.

Its a pity that Kingwa does not produce any PCM 1704 DACs anymore. He says, it's because the PCM1704 "UK" - type is not deliverable anymore. (They seem to produce only PCM1704 "not UK"). I don't know what the difference is... however, I would love to see DAC designers who continue building DACs around the multibit-technology and help it stay alive.

Cheers!

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 26
Well yes, didn't I mention it? I got my PCM1704UK - DAC (Ref9) last year. I was lucky... However, "PCM1704U" - Chips are still available according to Kingwa, but not the "PCM1704U-K" - Chips.

See http://www.head-fi.org/t/563440/no-pcm-1704-dacs-from-audio-gd-anymore-why#post_7620335

However, I have no idea what actually the difference among the two types is.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 26
My bad, I apologize. I thought Audio-gd has released another PCM1704-based DAC and you posted this thread to spread the information or something. 

K-grade is the highest grade of chip Burr-Brown (now TI) offers and seems to be manufactured within higher tolerance so it has better specs on paper. Now whether that translates to significant sound improvement IRL is debatable... 

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 26
You state things very well and right in line with my thoughts- more real sounding with my Ref-8 DAC vs my NFB12. The leap is the same going from my computer sound card to the NFB12 as well. I think is it has more to do with power supply and regulation than the chip but that's a guess.

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 26
Thanks for the review. My Ref9 aren´t going anywhere either :) Your description make me believe the Fun is more like the DAC19. My DAC19 is also based on the 1704 chip. However I use the DSP 3 with the DAC19 and DSP5 and that is certainly part of the difference. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 26
Yes, sure, its quite clear that there are differences in the design of the whole gear that are certainly at least as important as the DAC chip. What I did now, I connected my Ref 9 DAC through the FUN preamp, as it has an analogue RCA input. It still sounded like Ref 9 nevertheless, just more natural. Now, it might still be the digital input filter. That makes certainly a big difference (I use coaxial s/pdif).

But still I am convinced, that the multibit-design has some advantages over the 1-bit chips, and people who manage to compare both types of chips in comparable setups generally confirm, that the multibit sound superior. However, PCM 1704 ist the last of its kind, unfortunately.

K3cT: What you wrote about the the difference with the K-type is indeed interesting. This means, audio-gd could still produce 1704 based DACs using the same design... but using the non-K-version. So I wonder, what other reasons they had to break down completely their large PCM1704 lineup. When I was choosing my Ref9 in autumn 2010, there were about 5 different 1704-based dacs to choose from!

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Its a pity that Kingwa does not produce any PCM 1704 DACs anymore. He says, it's because the PCM1704 "UK" - type is not deliverable anymore. (They seem to produce only PCM1704 "not UK").

I certainly won't speak on behalf of Audio-gd or discuss them in any way, but claiming that TI doesn't make them is completely false.  I have called Texas Instruments and they most certainly still do produce this chip.  It is not a discontinued item and if you go to their website you will plainly see it is still in production.  You can order tubes of 38 pieces, or order a whole lot of approximately 2000 chips to get them, and Texas Instruments will most certainly make them for you if you shell out the cash for a large run.  In that quantity the price would be about $25 a chip.  So for $50,000 you'd have enough chips to make 250 DACs with 8 chips per unit.  The factory lead time can run up to 20 weeks however, but they can certainly be made.

Here's the TI website:

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1704

In fact it shows that a distributor even has 43 of them left in stock, which if you click on the link will take you to Avnet which says they are out but will have 67 in stock on 12/14/2011.  That likely means that many more vendors will have small quantities at that time as well.

And as you can see, the PCM1704, PCM1704U, PCM1704U-J, and PCM1704U-K all have ACTIVE status which means they are still in production.
The claim that they cannot be ordered is completely false.  You can call TI for yourself and find out.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #12 of 26
That is interesting. Naim (for instance) also use PCM1704 in their CD players and DACs and none of them have been announced as unavailable. I'd been wondering why Naim were still producing but Audio-gd were not as I'm edging towards a DAC built around this chip.

Maybe it's down to local supply constraints, Asia being different from EU and elsewhere...?

Quote:
And as you can see, the PCM1704, PCM1704U, PCM1704U-J, and PCM1704U-K all have ACTIVE status which means they are still in production.
The claim that they cannot be ordered is completely false.  You can call TI for yourself and find out.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 26
If I remember right from the Reference 7.1 thread, it's not the matter of whether the chips are available or not but rather whether they can be manufactured and delivered in a timely manner. Besides as the above poster noted, once you put in a bulk order like that you will most likely deal with Chinese TI instead of American TI and things may get muddled there. 

@ursdiego

Yeah, it's a shame things have turned out this way. I wonder whether customers will mind if Audio-gd use lower-grade PCM1704 chips? 

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 26
... all depends on the alternative you have. First, if the K or not is considerably audible in a 4 or 8 chips design. And 2nd, if 1-bit chips sound better than non-K-1704s? I have my doubts there. But I am not a dac designer. So anyway, it seems that there are different reasons. One chip that vanished too at audio-gd's are the sabre32... he says, they have a quality issue and he waits until its resolved.

[size=12.0pt]However, some swear now, that PCM1794 were the best... anyone aware of that, and if Kingwa plans to implement them?[/size]

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 26
I haven't heard any Augio-gd DACs but am looking to upgrade, and it doesn't seem like any of the other DACs available these days have the same mystique value that the PCM1704UK based Audio-gd DACs had. Or am I just imagining things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back