Ref 5 or NFB 1 ...which one
Jan 4, 2011 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Denys

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Which one would you choose, knowing you can't listen to either one of them before purchase ???

Ref 5 is $1010 USD and NFB1 is $780 USD....

I do not know the PCM1704 chip, and I only know the 8740 Wolfson with the DacMagic....

I should order sometimes in January, but I am still confused as I wanted the Sabre DAC in the first place... REF 7 is too expensive

I have no intention on going balanced, and I use Sennheiser HD800 and WooAudio 6SE as headphone amp.

Just don't want to make a mistake..

Thanks for your time

Denys

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 7
Hello Denys, happy new year.

A lot of people think that the HD 800 is very revealing, very clear, for some there is a little too much treble.

Do you think your tube amp is enough to tame it ? If yes, you need a very neutral DAC, REF 5 is a good choice.

If not, if you think there is still a little problem with the highs with some recordings, NFB 1 is a better choice, more forgiving. Personnaly, i would go that way, it is safer.

And if you like tube and dream about a sabre dac, why not the Eastern Electric dac ?

Pascal.

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Hello Denys, happy new year.

A lot of people think that the HD 800 is very revealing, very clear, for some there is a little too much treble.

Do you think your tube amp is enough to tame it ? If yes, you need a very neutral DAC, REF 5 is a good choice.

If not, if you think there is still a little problem with the highs with some recordings, NFB 1 is a better choice, more forgiving. Personnaly, i would go that way, it is safer.

And if you like tube and dream about a sabre dac, why not the Eastern Electric dac ?

Pascal.

Hi Pascal,

Thank you for your reply. The Eastern Electric Dac has only one output, and I need a minimum of two, preferably three. I contacted Bill of Morning Audio Star and confirmed that they do not make DAC upon personnal requests. Therefore, EE is out of the way. 

NFB1 seems a reasonable choice. I'll ask Kingwa if the difference between NFB 1 and NFB8 is worth the 50% difference in price...
confused_face_2.gif
 I want to buy a DAC for a long time !!!

Denys

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Denys, i also would be interested in Kingwa's feedback for the NFB1 vs NFB8 comparison. Would be glad if you can share it once you have an answer.

We'll do for sure.... i figure thet if I buy a DAC for the next 10 years or so... might as well trying to get the right picture, considering I won't have the chance of listening to it prior the purchase...

Denys

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 7
I have another idea for you : Audiolab 8200 cd or cdq or dq.The 8200 cd is a cd player using the Sabre chip, it has USB, optical and coaxial inputs for the dac part, so it can be used as a dac, and RCA and XLR outputs. The cdq has a pre and a better power supply. The dq is the same as cdq but without the cd player, only dac and pre. CD and cdq are available now and there is a dealer for Canada, dq will be available later, at the end of winter or springtime.

Very good review in What HIFI

http://whathifi.com/Review/Audiolab-8200CD

But first, be sure of what kind of sound you need with your tube amp+HD800 : something very neutral or a little dark. The Audiolab seems to be neutral and smooth, which is good.
You are in Montreal, do you speak french ? I am french, i live near Paris.

Pascal

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm also waiting for the NFB-1 and looking for a CD player. I also like the Saber chip. I also need a USB input which the NFB-1 doesn't have. So the Audiolab 8200CD would be the ticket for me.
Pas, thanks for the info.
Quote:
I have another idea for you : Audiolab 8200 cd or cdq or dq.The 8200 cd is a cd player using the Sabre chip, it has USB, optical and coaxial inputs for the dac part, so it can be used as a dac, and RCA and XLR outputs. The cdq has a pre and a better power supply. The dq is the same as cdq but without the cd player, only dac and pre. CD and cdq are available now and there is a dealer for Canada, dq will be available later, at the end of winter or springtime.

Very good review in What HIFI

http://whathifi.com/Review/Audiolab-8200CD

But first, be sure of what kind of sound you need with your tube amp+HD800 : something very neutral or a little dark. The Audiolab seems to be neutral and smooth, which is good.
You are in Montreal, do you speak french ? I am french, i live near Paris.

Pascal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back