Redwine/Tomahawk
Mar 6, 2007 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RCM

100+ Head-Fier
UE-10 Pros: ordered
Tomahawk: ordered
Redwine iMod iPod: ordered
Cable: ????

What cable do I use to connect the iPod and the Tomahawk?
They'll be piggybacked with velcro or whatever so I want a short a cable as possible that will connect them.

Don't mind spending some if it's worth it, but don't want to waste $ if it's not.

Side note: ALO was suggested by Vinnie at Redwine-do I need 18g, or would 22g be as good for this application?

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RCM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Side note: ALO was suggested by Vinnie at Redwine-do I need 18g, or would 22g be as good for this application?

Hopped into the deep end, I see... congratulations on an incredible portable set!

RnB180 makes some great cables, as do ALO, and you can look into Headphile's interconnects as well.

22AWG should be fine. 18AWG is going to be large and stiff... you could probably wave the Tomahawk around by the IC!

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 16
Shouldn't the title of this thread be "na-na-na-na-boo-boo"
smily_headphones1.gif

Nah seriously...sounds like you are going to have a great set-up. Go to ALOaudio.com and email them. I am sure Ken will not steer you wrong.

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 16
Your question is part of an ongoing debate that will never be settled. Personally, I make my own. I'm currently using an interconnect made out of solid core silver (2 x 28 AWG for each channel and 1 x 26 AWG for ground) housed in teflon, braided, sleeved and terminated with gold plated neutrik connectors. Some will say that's overkill and some will say I'm doing my iMod/Hornet combo a disservice.

I do believe cables make a difference but only to a point. Personally, anything "more" than what I'm using just doesn't seem to make sense to me. But that is me. No matter what way you go, you've got a wonderful set-up. Mine still blows me away how something so small can sound so good.

You are in for a treat!

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

What cable do I use to connect the iPod and the Tomahawk?

I suggest an ALO cable. A Jumbo Cryo Dock maybe?

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

UE-10 Pros: ordered
Tomahawk: ordered
Redwine iMod iPod: ordered
Cable: ????

Holy crap, you don't fool around do you? I thought noobs who have been here less than a month are supposed to be asking about v-moda vibes and PA2v2s! Happy listening.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dock connectors are out. Worthless with an iMod. Need to go 1/8" to 1/8".

Ooops, I missed the iMod part.

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crap, you don't fool around do you? I thought noobs who have been here less than a month are supposed to be asking about v-moda vibes and PA2v2s! Happy listening.
biggrin.gif

Apologize for double posting this, I figured the cable section might not be as viewed as the headphone section.

I'm a newb, but I only want one rig, this is it, and this is all. All I had to do was read this forum!

I've just ebayed a bunch of bicycle/moto equipment and have the $ in PayPal, so the wife doesn't catch the amount I'm spending.

And I do have a ton of newb questions for other forums, like can I only get the best sound out of this rig by copying from CDs, or can I get good sound from downloads.

Definite newb questions.

Thanks for the info on cables!...Rod

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 16
I think it's irresponsible not to point out that there is a sizeable body of opinion (including the entire electronic engineering community) which says that "high-end" cables make absolutely no difference whatsoever to sound quality.

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's irresponsible not to point out that there is a sizeable body of opinion (including the entire electronic engineering community) which says that "high-end" cables make absolutely no difference whatsoever to sound quality.

=

thread.jpg
fox%20poo.jpg

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Apologize for double posting this, I figured the cable section might not be as viewed as the headphone section.

I'm a newb, but I only want one rig, this is it, and this is all. All I had to do was read this forum!

I've just ebayed a bunch of bicycle/moto equipment and have the $ in PayPal, so the wife doesn't catch the amount I'm spending.

And I do have a ton of newb questions for other forums, like can I only get the best sound out of this rig by copying from CDs, or can I get good sound from downloads.

Definite newb questions.

Thanks for the info on cables!...Rod

Hey, I'm not criticizing or even looking for you to justify your purchases. I'm simply jealous
icon10.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Unless you can somehow find downloads in Lossless format, whether it be .WAV, FLAC or ALAC, CD's will always give you the best sound. Nothing other than lossless is worth playing in a rig with an iMod.

Hell, I'm only using the LOD on a 5G iPod with a Tomahawk and a TF10, and I can tell the difference between a 256K MP3 and Lossless quite clearly. UE10's would make it night and day, I assume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back