Redundancy Alert: HD600 Cable
Feb 21, 2009 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

myinitialsaredac

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry guys, I searched around but didn't find a conclusive answer to my question, so here goes:
I currently have an Ultra Micro DAC and a Millett Max and am looking at picking up a stock pair of hd600s. I was looking at re-cabling options, specifically the APS V3 and the Cardas Cable, and the Moon-Audio Silver Dragon v2.

Could anyone weigh in with the sound of each cable?

For the APS, I would do the Cardas connectors, super nylon sleeving and the Furutech connector in 10ft. so that would total - $335

The Cardas already comes with Cardas connectors and the Cardas SS plug so It would be left stock at 10ft for - $222

Let me know what you guys think.

Dave

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 10
FWIW, I reckon that the HD650 stock cable is the best value in replacement cables for the HD600. Noticeably beefier with improvements that get you a fair bit of the way to a Cardas in my recent experience. And cheap at less than 20.00. Certainly with a try before spending big bucks on other aftermarket solutions.

best,

o

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I reckon that the HD650 stock cable is the best value in replacement cables for the HD600. Noticeably beefier with improvements that get you a fair bit of the way to a Cardas in my recent experience. And cheap at less than 20.00. Certainly with a try before spending big bucks on other aftermarket solutions.

best,

o

Interesting Input, I would probably agree on the value scale.

I would rather do it right the first time though, I have a feeling that it will be the best route.

Anyone else have any input for the cables I listed?

Thanks,
Dave

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm using an APS V3 cable. I went with Carbon Techflex or whatever. If I were to order again I'd go for the nylon. Btw, imo that furutech TRS plug is ugly to say the least. I'd drop to the Neutrik and save your $25.

I can't speak for sonic differences because I don't have any other 4 pin XLR balanced cables to A/B with. The APS build quality is exceptional.

Neutrik TRS:

02.JPG

Furutech TRS:

05.JPG

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Of the three cables I've heard with my HD650, the best-sounding one is (naturally) my fancy UPOCC copper cable from Enigma Audio. I would encourage you to take a look at what they have. The Oracle in particular has a great reputation when used with the HD650, although some people don't like how it sounds with the HD600. I never heard my HD600 with the UPOCC copper (Elemental) cable, but I'd wager that it would sound pretty good with it. The HD600 and the HD650 suffer from similar shortcomings in my view, and the difference between the two headphones is greatly exaggerated. The cable is very neutral, but it doesn't lack bass presence. It opens up the soundstage greatly, and "lifted the veil" from my HD650. Complex music is significantly less congested with it, as it addresses the HD650's somewhat muddy layering. The BQ is absolutely top-notch too.

The Cardas cable has an almost-unimpeachable reputation when used with the HD600. That's never surprised me, as it was designed for use with that headphone. I myself have never heard it, but you probably can't go too wrong giving it a shot. When I get an HD600 again, I probably will. It can be had cheap. I'm not a big fan of the connector plugs though. They're flimsy in comparison to the stock plugs on both the HD650/HD600 cable IMO. My Enigma Audio cable also uses them (out of necessity), and that's just about the only part of that cable I don't care for.

Having heard the HD650 cable with both the HD650 and the HD600, I can tell unequivocally that it is a good cable and a tremendous value. I still use it constantly on my HD650, as it has a number of benefits beyond sounding nice. It's light, durable (I love the connector plugs), flexible, and non-microphonic. Sonically, it delivers a warm, smooth presentation. For some music, especially vocal, I actually prefer it to my Enigma Audio cable! It is a very relaxing cable, both to wear and listen to. I can't imagine not owning this cable if you enjoy Sennheiser headphones.

Almost anything would be an upgrade over the HD600 cable. It sounds like garbage to my ears. I think it has a very "thin" sound.

That's all I've got for you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valens7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the three cables I've heard with my HD650, the best-sounding one is (naturally) my fancy UPOCC copper cable from Enigma Audio. I would encourage you to take a look at what they have. The Oracle in particular has a great reputation when used with the HD650, although some people don't like how it sounds with the HD600. I never heard my HD600 with the UPOCC copper (Elemental) cable, but I'd wager that it would sound pretty good with it. The HD600 and the HD650 suffer from similar shortcomings in my view, and the difference between the two headphones is greatly exaggerated. The cable is very neutral, but it doesn't lack bass presence. It opens up the soundstage greatly, and "lifted the veil" from my HD650. Complex music is significantly less congested with it, as it addresses the HD650's somewhat muddy layering. The BQ is absolutely top-notch too.

The Cardas cable has an almost-unimpeachable reputation when used with the HD600. That's never surprised me, as it was designed for use with that headphone. I myself have never heard it, but you probably can't go too wrong giving it a shot. When I get an HD600 again, I probably will. It can be had cheap. I'm not a big fan of the connector plugs though. They're flimsy in comparison to the stock plugs on both the HD650/HD600 cable IMO. My Enigma Audio cable also uses them (out of necessity), and that's just about the only part of that cable I don't care for.

Having heard the HD650 cable with both the HD650 and the HD600, I can tell unequivocally that it is a good cable and a tremendous value. I still use it constantly on my HD650, as it has a number of benefits beyond sounding nice. It's light, durable (I love the connector plugs), flexible, and non-microphonic. Sonically, it delivers a warm, smooth presentation. For some music, especially vocal, I actually prefer it to my Enigma Audio cable! It is a very relaxing cable, both to wear and listen to. I can't imagine not owning this cable if you enjoy Sennheiser headphones.

Almost anything would be an upgrade over the HD600 cable. It sounds like garbage to my ears. I think it has a very "thin" sound.

That's all I've got for you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the detail. I would agree with the 'thin' sound. It sounded like an echo and just constricted before. Very blurry.

To update everyone I received a Cardas cable a few days ago and have just been burning it in/listening and evaluating it. I am very very happy with it. I plan to put up a nice review in a little bit.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back