Reducing Vice Grip in Senn 590s
Feb 15, 2005 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

notderrick

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am a long time reader of this board and my wallet has finally taken a few direct hits as a result. I just purchased the refurbished 590s from Amazon to compare and contrast with my Grado SR60s. Unfortunately, the headband is squeezing my head something fierce. I've read that the 580/600/650 bands can be stretched a bit, but I can't seem to find any info specific to the plastic band on the 590s. Anyone with experience want to comment on whether it naturally relaxes with use/stretching or I should simply look elsewhere for headphones that fit my relatively wide head. Also, any suggestions for us round-headed people.

Thanks in advance

Feb 15, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 10
If it's the same vice grip that comes with the other HD*** series, it'll go away eventually. I have a large round head, and it took a few days to disappear (or perhaps I just got used to it). If you don't want to deal with that, people have recommended leaving the phones stretched for a few days on a basketball, stack of books, speakers, etc.

Feb 15, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 10
Know some have mentioned physically flexing the headband beyond the amount necessary to get 'em on the head and that it wouldn't hurt them but i worry about causing the finish to crack or peel. I'd just be patient and give it time.

Feb 15, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 10
You know that the earcups slide down out of the headband on both sides, don't you? If you pull both all the way out, you should be able to raise the headband up so it doesn't pinch your head. I wear a 7 5/8 hat, and they fit me with room to spare.

See ya
Steve

Feb 16, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the advice. I know that the headband will expand, but then the pressure changes from my temples to right below my ear. I guess I'll just have to work with them or send them back.

Feb 16, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 10
What I did was put a children's book between the ends of the headband (NOT between the pads) just above the pads for a couple of days. Check it once a day to see if it loosened enough for you. If you are looking at the headphones, the bottom pages of the book should be facing you and just above the pads. Children's books are the best because they are usually hardbound, come in different widths, and thin. You want one having a width that approximates the size of your head. Just make sure the kid you borrowed the book from does not find out (or you might need another phone)! A short ruler also works.

If you put books between the pads, the pads will compress. You don't want that.

The headband will spring back in, so you may have to repeat the process once in a while (I had mine in this position for a whole week).

Good luck.

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I have a large round head, and it took a few days to disappear

tongue.gif

sorry, just thought that was funny.. but im an idiot.. so forgive me please.

anyway, my hd280s have that head clamp feel, i guess i have a round head too.. i stretched them (my hd280s
tongue.gif
) for three days across my computer case (like my computer was wearing headphones) - i didnt feel much difference afterwards... maybe they just needed more stretching though.. but i wasnt going to deal with it.. just bought something else instead.

Feb 16, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by notderrick
or I should simply look elsewhere for headphones that fit my relatively wide head.

If you like senn's 'house sound' and stretching failed, you might want to try 5x5 phones. Senn seem to address this issue on 5x5 series and their headband put a very mild pressure to your head. More a problem for my small pea here, since they keep falling off when I listen lying down ..

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 10
590s will stretch out quite a bit after the first month or so of use. When I first used them I loosened up the headband a couple notches til the band itself stretched. Now I wear it tight and it feels a lot more comfortable then the 650s I have with their death grip on my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back