Reduce FLAC bitrate to play on Ipod?
Dec 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Davils Advocate

New Head-Fier
Hi, so I recently got some albums and the bitrate is above 1000kbs. While I'm happy with this, iTunes won't let me transfer them to my ipod due to large bitrate. So my question is, how can i reduce the bitrate to my desired amount? 

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 9
I wasn't aware that iTunes even does FLAC...

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 9
If its ALAC, iTunes won't complain.
If its FLAC or WAV, iTunes won't even import the files.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 9
Is the bit-depth 24-bit? Apple's iPod does not support any files with a 24-bit resolution. 

destroysall.

Actually the iPhone / iTouches will play 24 bit ALAC files. They're just limited to 24/48 max. Not sure about the iPods though - would be surprised if they weren't the same though.

Anyway - OP - easiest way is to transcode a copy of your files. I use dbpoweramp. It allows you to resample, and also reduce the bit-rate. I would encourage you to actually try a blind test some time between a high-res 24/96 (or even normal flac 16/44.1) file, and a transcoded aac256 file from the same source. Google "foobar2000 abx". You'll probably learn that you won't be able to tell the difference when transcoded properly. Then you can keep your lossless for home, but use a fully transcoded aac256 library for your portable - and safely know that you're not missing out with either :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Actually the iPhone / iTouches will play 24 bit ALAC files. They're just limited to 24/48 max. Not sure about the iPods though - would be surprised if they weren't the same though.

I had no idea. However, most if not all my 24-bit files are in 24-bit/96kHz resolution, so that could explain why it is my files would not be compatible. Learn something new everyday. Thanks! 
smile.gif

destroysall.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Thank you everybody for your responses! 
Quote:
Anyway - OP - easiest way is to transcode a copy of your files. I use dbpoweramp. It allows you to resample, and also reduce the bit-rate. I would encourage you to actually try a blind test some time between a high-res 24/96 (or even normal flac 16/44.1) file, and a transcoded aac256 file from the same source. Google "foobar2000 abx". You'll probably learn that you won't be able to tell the difference when transcoded properly. Then you can keep your lossless for home, but use a fully transcoded aac256 library for your portable - and safely know that you're not missing out with either
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, I use ALAC, I forgot to mention that on the post. I have dbpoweramp but how do I go from doing that?

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 9
I was just looking into this to convert my hi rez files. For dbPoweramp Music(or batch) Converter: select songs to open(I convert FLAC files). When the converter window opens, you have to add the DSP effects at the bottom. Select Bit Depth(apply triangle dither), and Resample and set them to what you need. You can also set FLAC level and output directory. Then hit the convert button and you're good to go. Hope this helps. Foobar and Audacity can do the same. There is also SRCDrop which works on wav files only(but not FLAC as far as I know). Alot of folks use iZotope also, but you'll have to purchase it or find a crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back