REDNet and AES67
Jun 18, 2016 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mourip

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I have to admit that I am pretty disappointed that the other thread regarding developments in Focusrite REDnet and AES67 got locked. I am not disappointed that it was done but that it needed to be done.

I would politely ask that we not turn this into a brawl and that those inclined towards that start their own thread for that purpose.

I am interested in continuing to hear about the experiences of others who like myself feel that AES67 represents a new era in computer audio. 

I found setting up my REDNet D16 to be a bit daunting and I have been a computer engineer for over 20 years and an audiophile for a lot longer than that. Having said that it is giving me sound quality that is an order of magnitude beyond what my pretty tweaked USB chain offered through some very decent downstream gear.

If you are interested in this please post. If you have purchased a REDNet or similar device please let us know what you think.

Let use this space to help each other and learn.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 24
Glad you set up a thread for REDNet. Hopefully this will serve as a good "users group". I have been using a D16 with Mutec MC-3 + USB and Schiit Yggy for a few days and am excited by what I am hearing. Only issue so far is that for some reason I can't play 192Khz files - either native or via upsampling with JRMC. No error messages - just not getting sound. Anyone else experience that? I was able to play 96Khz files without any issues. Not a big issue for me as I only have a few 192Khz files but wanted to test it out.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 24
  Glad you set up a thread for REDNet. Hopefully this will serve as a good "users group". I have been using a D16 with Mutec MC-3 + USB and Schiit Yggy for a few days and am excited by what I am hearing. Only issue so far is that for some reason I can't play 192Khz files - either native or via upsampling with JRMC. No error messages - just not getting sound. Anyone else experience that? I was able to play 96Khz files without any issues. Not a big issue for me as I only have a few 192Khz files but wanted to test it out

Never mind my question. I figured it out. Needed to adjust Dante latency in virtual sound card to 4ms.

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 24
We can keep this thread going, those other threads were moving so fast info was getting buried. It'd be nice to minimize non-rednet/dante stuff unless its for comparison sake.

We just had a meet in Bellingham, WA where 2 Rednet made a show - Muziqboy and myself. I had mine set up so people could try their DACs on the rednet and people were very much sold on what the R3 did for their gear's sound quality. Looks like the Rednet audiophile will grow further.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 24
I am pretty sure that was the first meet in Head-Fi land with RedNet 3's running in the rigs.

People are just amazed at the SQ improvement that they hear with the RedNet's compared to USB. There was at least a couple of folks in that B'ham meet that was sold on the RedNet's. Now if we can only get this scaled down to a 2 channel version with a lower price, these will fly off the shelves pretty fast.

Jun 19, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 24
I too now have my RN3 operating and it is now (after ≈12hrs of operation) starting to blossom quite nicely.

I'll switch back to my 2-Wyrd data path setup just to compare.

JJ

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 24
 I have some very interesting tweeks I have discoveref today. But I will save those for a new blog I'm setting up on AOIP.

Good luck to you all.

Peace out.

Once you get your blog up please send us a link. Would love to hear about those tweaks!

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 24
if dual pc with jplay and AO optimzer cant match rednet 3, I believe the price tag of RD3 is definitely worth it, both hardware and software (jplay - usd 80, AO -usd 135, fidelizer-usd 100, not including the server 2012)

looks like my pc with dual OCXO PPA clock and hdplex LPS can call it a day.

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 24
  if dual pc with jplay and AO optimzer cant match rednet 3, I believe the price tag of RD3 is definitely worth it, both hardware and software (jplay - usd 80, AO -usd 135, fidelizer-usd 100, not including the server 2012)

looks like my pc with dual OCXO PPA clock and hdplex LPS can call it a day.

I am still experimenting but I am not sure that AO really helps that much now and I am pretty sure that Windows 2012 server is no longer necessary. I have been using a Technet copy of 2012r2 and thinking I would eventually need to spend for a license but I am now pretty sure that Windows 10 Pro would be just fine. I choose Pro so that I can use RDP to monitor it headlessly.

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #13 of 24
BTW I'm no engineer and it took me 10 mins to setup my Rednet 3. I have some very interesting tweeks I have discoveref today. But I will save those for a new blog I'm setting up on AOIP.

Good luck to you all.

Peace out.

Great!

I do hope that everyone will use this thread to share tweaks and configuration choices also ...

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #14 of 24
Although the pricier Rednet models have gotten all the attention let's not forget there is an interesting budget option in the Rednet AM2:

I am still curious as to just much difference AOIP makes by itself. Could be that this is a killer dac/headphone amp for only $400. Sure it's limited to 96khz, but that's not that much of a dealbreaker if the sound quality is superior to anything in its class thanks to dante/ethernet connection. Unfortunately I can't find much info on what dac chip it uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back