Rediscovering Brahms...help?
Apr 14, 2008 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nylan8301

1000+ Head-Fier
During my time as an undergraduate, I had a fervent hatred of Brahms. It was mostly due to his relationship with Clara Schumann, the wife of Robert Schumann. I held, and still hold, Schumann in high regard and I thought that Brahms had a ineffectual, intellectual affair with Clara (courtly love and all that jazz). I believe history has dug deeper since that time and found that it was more or less platonic (motherly/sisterly in a fashion).

I used to consider his music overly dramatic and somewhat "wishy-washy". I felt like I was listening to a love-sick puppy gush his soul all over the orchestra. I detested Brahms. I refused to sing anything he had composed (which did tend to frustrate my vocal instructor). Sorry if this insults any fans of Brahms. I was young, okay?!

However, upon recently hearing his works again (Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2, in B-flat major, Op. 83), my opinion of the man has changed. I'm a little older, a little wiser, and have learned the error of my ways.

I would like to hear more works, and was wondering what you, head-fi, could offer in the way of suggestions.

Sorry this is so long,

Nylan

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 8
I think that Brahms shows off his strengths most often in his chamber works, particularly the later ones. Lots of great music on this disc of trios.

His clarinet quintet is terrific. There are many recordings.

He's not known particularly for the strength of his orchestration, but nonetheless his violin concerto is extremely popular. I go hot and cold on this one, but I'm not really a concerto guy in general (with exceptions, of course).

Finally, you must of course listen to "Ein deutsches Requiem".

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 8
That's funny -- I used to hate Brahms when I was an undergrad, too. I thought a lot of it was boring. And you know what --- it is! At least if the wrong person is in charge.

I am an orchestral fan, so my recommendations are orchestral:

Symphonies 1 - 4 (Obvious) but you simply must try the Mackerras set on Telarc done with chamber orchestra. Superb! Exciting as all get out.

Haydn Variations: There are so many great versions it's hard to pick a best.

Quartet in g minor op. 25 arranged for orchestra by Arnold Schoenberg. Sacrilege to many, but what a thrilling work! There are several recordings, and some of them are BORING. I still like the Jarvi on Chandos best. The original SONY with Robert Craft in Chicago is great, but his remake in London is not. The BIS recording is superb, too. Turn the headphones and let it rip!

Hungarian Dances: the Naxos recording with Bogar conducting is unbeatable. So incredible authentic. They have the feel down flawlessly.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 8
I just came home from seeing the Brahms Violin Sonatas performed live by Anne-Sophie Mutter / Lambert Orkis........such beautifully written works.....theres really no words to describe how perfect they are. I recommend picking up a recording of that..... my favorite is the Itzhak Perlman / Vladimir Ashkenazy reading...... the one I saw tonight was excellent as well, but its not on record.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 8
The first symphony is my personal favorite; I could listen to the fourth movement all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back