Redesign the UI of the FIIO Music APP
Sep 5, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #16 of 20
Hey guys, we are planning to redesign the UI of the FIIO Music APP according to some users’ needs. The first picture is the new version, and the second is the current one. Here are some main differences between them:
1. Cancel the original homepage and adjust it to the “Local Music” page, which is more convenient for selecting songs.
2. Integrate the playlist of Recent playing/Most played/Recently added on the original homepage into one.
3. Adjust the Settings page to “My” at the bottom of the TAB bar, and the options between Local Music, Playlists, Media server (NAS/DLNA, etc.) and My can be directly switched, which is more convenient to switch songs of different playlists.
If you have any opinions or suggestions, please leave us a message. Thank you so much!

If fiio app can remember the login detail, everytime I have to login again.
Also if all EQ and connection details (fiio app to fiio DAPs Bluetooth) are saved in account so everytime you have a new device we can easily got those setting and details.
Also when controlling Fiio DAPs via phones fiio app via Bluetooth its a pain to reconnect each device again and again, it would be better if fiio app remembers the last connection and auto connect when both device are connected via Bluetooth.

Sep 6, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #17 of 20
It's sad to see the homepage with the now playing and new/recent list going away as I use it often. I get that most of the functionality will be preserved in a slightly different form but I like a music app not to be just lists as it just screams lazy UI to me. A option to enable/disable the home screen would be a better option in my opinion.
Aside from that, I've got a few ideas that might be worth considering at some point in the future.

1. Opening the main player screen by swiping the mini player at the bottom up.
Tapping on it works fine but swiping up feels more intuitive when you use it. It's common in feature in apps like UAPP and mainstream apps like Samsung music. Similarly it should also work in the reverse by swiping down to get out of the main player screen. The animation should follow the finger input, so one holds the swipe half way, the main player screen should also held be half way and a flick should open/close it fully. Small things like this can drastically improve the user experience so it's something I'd like to see more often.
On a side note, there have been multiple times that it doesn't respond properly to a tap on both my X7 Mk.II (running a old version) and LG G7 (current version) but it's not a common occurrence so it might just be me not hitting it right sometimes.

2. Going from artist to album.
When you're in navigating in the artists and selecting the album, it would be nice to be able tap on the album art to open the album itself. I have quite a few compilation albums of which can't remember their names so it's often faster to find one of the artists that I know has a song on the album than it is to find the album itself. Now my process for this situation is: artist > album > song > player > 3 dots (options) > (view full) album. It's a roundabout way and I don't do it like this for albums of which I know the title or at least the starting letters but it's a nice alternative option to have while navigating. Especially when one decides that they want to listen to the full album and not just the song while browsing a particular artist.

3. Favorite albums and artists.
Being able to favorite albums and artists and not just songs would I think be a welcome option for a lot of people. But please don't do it by adding all the songs on the album or artist to the favorite songs list, have it displayed separately. This is a feature in UAPP and it's great for quick navigation to albums and artist one often listens to. Something similar can aso be done with recently added/played albums or artists.

4. Discovery/suggestion page.
With how big music collections on DAPs are, mine for instance is well over 25k curated songs on the X7 Mk.II (which is only limited by running out of space). It would be nice to have a page with albums and songs that one hasn't listened to yet or not listened to in a long time and have been on the player for a while, as a way to rediscover one's own own music. Maybe it could be a part of a revamped home page. You can take some inspiration on how to implement this from the Tidal and Qobuz homepages.

5. Tablet friendly UI/landscape layout.
I know I'm probably alone with this use case and I get it's focused for use on DAP's and that is fine. But in my opinion, when a media player app (music, video, photo) is available on any appstore, a proper tablet UI should be a apart of it. While far less common than smartphones, they are seeing a small resurgence again and are a media consumption device. Tablets are the devices I use the most by far, and the weird scaling along with no landscape orientation layout made me stop using the FiiO Music app on them pretty quickly.
FiiO music isn't alone in this, most enthusiast grade music apps like Hiby music for instance have the same issues. Then again Hiby has terrible UI to begin with aside from the main player screen.

Either way I'll be keeping an eye on the FiiO music app developments as after a two month delay I should finally get my M15s soon.
Ordered it on the 10th of July from a local store and there have been some complications with the delivery company losing the package.

Sep 6, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #18 of 20
It's sad to see the homepage with the now playing and new/recent list going away as I use it often. I get that most of the functionality will be preserved in a slightly different form but I like a music app not to be just lists as it just screams lazy UI to me. A option to enable/disable the home screen would be a better option in my opinion.
Aside from that, I've got a few ideas that might be worth considering at some point in the future.

Tapping on it works fine but swiping up feels more intuitive when you use it. It's common in feature in apps like UAPP and mainstream apps like Samsung music. Similarly it should also work in the reverse by swiping down to get out of the main player screen. The animation should follow the finger input, so one holds the swipe half way, the main player screen should also held be half way and a flick should open/close it fully. Small things like this can drastically improve the user experience so it's something I'd like to see more often.
On a side note, there have been multiple times that it doesn't respond properly to a tap on both my X7 Mk.II (running a old version) and LG G7 (current version) but it's not a common occurrence so it might just be me not hitting it right sometimes.

When you're in navigating in the artists and selecting the album, it would be nice to be able tap on the album art to open the album itself. I have quite a few compilation albums of which can't remember their names so it's often faster to find one of the artists that I know has a song on the album than it is to find the album itself. Now my process for this situation is: artist > album > song > player > 3 dots (options) > (view full) album. It's a roundabout way and I don't do it like this for albums of which I know the title or at least the starting letters but it's a nice alternative option to have while navigating. Especially when one decides that they want to listen to the full album and not just the song while browsing a particular artist.

Being able to favorite albums and artists and not just songs would I think be a welcome option for a lot of people. But please don't do it by adding all the songs on the album or artist to the favorite songs list, have it displayed separately. This is a feature in UAPP and it's great for quick navigation to albums and artist one often listens to. Something similar can aso be done with recently added/played albums or artists.

With how big music collections on DAPs are, mine for instance is well over 25k curated songs on the X7 Mk.II (which is only limited by running out of space). It would be nice to have a page with albums and songs that one hasn't listened to yet or not listened to in a long time and have been on the player for a while, as a way to rediscover one's own own music. Maybe it could be a part of a revamped home page. You can take some inspiration on how to implement this from the Tidal and Qobuz homepages.

I know I'm probably alone with this use case and I get it's focused for use on DAP's and that is fine. But in my opinion, when a media player app (music, video, photo) is available on any appstore, a proper tablet UI should be a apart of it. While far less common than smartphones, they are seeing a small resurgence again and are a media consumption device. Tablets are the devices I use the most by far, and the weird scaling along with no landscape orientation layout made me stop using the FiiO Music app on them pretty quickly.
FiiO music isn't alone in this, most enthusiast grade music apps like Hiby music for instance have the same issues. Then again Hiby has terrible UI to begin with aside from the main player screen.

Either way I'll be keeping an eye on the FiiO music app developments as after a two month delay I should finally get my M15s soon.
Ordered it on the 10th of July from a local store and there have been some complications with the delivery company losing the package.

+ 1 for point number 5 🙂

Sep 6, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 20

Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. We have reported to the engineer for assessing first.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 6, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #20 of 20
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. We have reported to the engineer for assessing first.

Best regards
I would like to see the homepage remain as is as well. I also find the 'recently played' & 'most played' feature extremely useful. I actually use the FiiO music app on all my DAPS, whether it's a FiiO player or from a different manufacturer. For me the standout feature of the FiiO app is the ability to scroll directly to the artist by the letters on the side, I don't believe any other music app offers this; it's extremely useful and probably at least 50% of the reason why I use the FiiO app. Keep up the great work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back