Red Wine USB Select? Wavelength Brick?
Jan 26, 2006 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IronLion

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if anybody has had any listening impressions at all with the Red Wine USB Select or the Wavelength Brick? I am considering upgrading to one of these...

Jan 26, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 5
A Red Wine USB Select (modified M-Audio Transit) is considered an upgrade from the Bel Canto DAC 2?
blink.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Perhaps he meant in conjunction with his DAC2. I dont think that a WA Brick is an upgrade to DAC2 just a sidegrade. From what I hear, it competes with DACs in the 1k range and is a wee bit overpriced. You also might want to check out the Chime DAC from Hagtech if you want a USB tube dac.

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 5
When I posted I meant mainly in terms of using either the Wavelength Brick or the Red Wine as a transport from my laptop and harddrive to my Bel Canto. If I were to get the Brick, I would probably just use that instead of the Bel Canto, because basically what I am trying to create is a setup that has the most direct line from the computer to a high quality DAC. Although I am satisfied with my U24 I am interested to see if using battery power (which the RW unit does) instead of USB power would improve transport abilities by removing jitter. I am most interested in knowing if the direct-approach of the Wavelength unit yields any significant differences in sound quality.

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 5
i know there is a wavelength dealer in NJ, odyssey audio (i think), what better way then to try it out. Also I dont think battey power is going to improve jitter it will just be cleaner power. The brick is supposedly "jitterless" (asynchronous usb direct to I2S) but there is no proof to Wavelengths claims. If I understand correctly all transit based items are a. isynchronous and b. convert to SPDIF then I2S (negating all possible benefits of USB) Hope this helps. By the way if you do try out the WA let us know what you think
orphsmile.gif

EDIT: I reread your post and am a bit confused you hint at using the wavelength as a Transport... its a DAC and as far as I know it doesnt have any digital outs. That would defeat the point of it being "jitterless", its main appeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back