Red Wine MOD and capability with car system
Aug 19, 2007 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PaulC

New Head-Fier
Red Wine MOD and capability with car system. I have an Alpine deck with a dock connection. Anybody have ant experience with any car setup with a dock connector and the feasibility of use after the MOD is done?
eek.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 8
if its a 4g then youll need to get an adapter for a female dock into a mini jack
if its a 5/5.5g then youll need to get an adapter with the output caps that is female dock to male dock

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 8
I have used a 4th Gen iMod in my cars. First I use a car charger attachement to keep it charge it during long trips, in conjunction I use a mini to mini to go from the iPod to the deck. Great sound.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Red Wine MOD and capability with car system. I have an Alpine deck with a dock connection. Anybody have ant experience with any car setup with a dock connector and the feasibility of use after the MOD is done?
eek.gif

I think PaulC means to ask whether iPod functionality will be feasible when the iMOD has been done on an iPod. He is probably referring to the head units where the controls are through the unit itself and not the iPod, so that only the dock connector is utilized and not an AUX input mini plug that some other head units may have.

Well, according to what has been done with an iPod, either 4g or 5/5.5g, this is probably not possible, though I have not tried it myself. The 4g will not work because the lineout through the dock connector has been removed, so hooking up the dock connector to an Alpine head unit will probably not have any sound. The 5/5.5g will have to have the BG caps in the dock connector between the Alpine head unit and the iMOD, in which no such connector currently exists--however, I have read from somewhere that some head units might have some sort of DC offset and that may work? If there is not some sort of DC offset then you may damage your amp/head unit if you connect it to a 5/5.5g iMOD and try to play music through it.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 8
I have a new 5G iMod and an ALO car cable. The iMod "works" with my car iPod integration cable using the ALO cable, but it won't charge. Also, my iMod goes to sleep when not using, so when I select it, I have to open my glovebox and manually "wake" it up. Big hassle.

May 1, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 8
My iMod doesn't charge in my car with the ALO cable. Everything else works, but it goes to "sleep" after awhile, and I have to manually wake it up to get it recognized by my head unit.

May 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

I think PaulC means to ask whether iPod functionality will be feasible when the iMOD has been done on an iPod.

yes, that's how I read the question. my car doesn't have the full iPod integration anyway, but my iMod sounds better than any of my iPods when playing through the mini-input in the center console, and the car stereo isn't all that bad if you get decent input. certainly as good or better than radio, and competitive with in-dash CD

May 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 8
I figured out through trials at Car Tunes and my BMW dealer that for some reason the ALO iMod adapter cable won't charge my iMod when used with the BMW iPod integration kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back