Red Wine Corvina Review
Feb 4, 2012 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Elmoreleonard

New Head-Fier
Components: Red Wine iMod - ALO iMod line-out cable - Red Wine Corvina headphone amp - Audeze LCD-2, rev. 1.
   This is a great set-up. The iMod is punchier than a regular iPod, serving a decent analogue, portable signal. However, the stars of the show are the combination of Corvina and LCD-2. I bought the LCD-2 first and thought it was terrific with a decent solid-state headphone amp that I had, but with the Corvina the sound is just so much fuller. There is an energy that the solid-state amp could not match. The LCD-2s vibrate with the music. The bass is confident without being abrasive and the high notes tingle. For me, the clincher with this set-up is that it is portable. The Corvina can be used either from the mains or from its battery (I have to admit that with my set-up, I cannot tell much, if any, difference between the two ways of powering it). I intend to take the 'rig' onto the patio in the summer. In terms of looks, the LCD-2 is kind of cool in a garage way but bordering on nerdy, whereas the Corvina is, quite simply, the most beautify piece of hifi I have ever owned. The matt black and sliver nob is so stylish that I sometimes just stroke it - I don't have a cat.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 10
My Corvina is balanced output. This meant I had to change the 1/4" termination on my LCD-2 cable, which a local technician did for me. Thus, I was not able to do an A-B comparison between the Corvina and my now-sold solid-state headphone amp as that was unbalanced. As soon as I received the Corvina I put 200 hours on it. Since then, I've listened for about 50 hours. I would characterise the Corvina as having a warm sound but as it has plenty of power it is able to deliver that warmth convincingly to my LCD-2s, which my solid-state amp was not able to do. That said, my solid-state amp was terrific with my now-sold Alessandro MS-Pros. I've been on a typical head-fi upgrade journey, I suppose. Just don't tell my wife.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 10
Have you heard other amps in the same price range like the corvina?  I have a lcd-2 coming and my current amp cant drive it.  Right now im looking at the taboo and wa-6se.  It would be nice if you know any comparison with those. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 10
Nice review, im also considering this amp. But money is always the big problem :D.

Neogeo333

I think that everybody overthinks what amplifier they get for they lcd's. It is better to test by yourself. Some say that amplifier X is ******** with the lcd's, but still someone could be very happy with that option. Hifi is all about our own mind, and that mind is easily tricked, by other fellow headfiers opinions. :)

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 10
Nice review, im also considering this amp. But money is always the big problem :D.

Neogeo333

I think that everybody overthinks what amplifier they get for they lcd's. It is better to test by yourself. Some say that amplifier X is ******** with the lcd's, but still someone could be very happy with that option. Hifi is all about our own mind, and that mind is easily tricked, by other fellow headfiers opinions. :)

Thanks for your consern. But I have talked to the designer of the crack and even he said is underpowered. That said I think a new amp is the best solution. If money wasnt a concern I would like to try all of them but I can't.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 10
Neogeo333, I'm afraid I have not heard any other amps with my LCD-2s, other than the solid state, which was not quite up to it, and the Corvina, which is. As I'm sure you know, the Corvina is a hybrid, so I assume that the tube part is what gives it the fullness. I switched the stock tube for a Mullard CV2492 on the advice of Vinnie, the manufacturer, who said he felt this upgrade would be as noticeable as a cable upgrade. There is a difference, but nothing like the difference between the Corvina and my solid state. I am beginning to form the opinion that the component is the key thing and the upgrades to the components are tweaks by comparison - but this is just a theory based on limited experience.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 10
While i shouldnt bump an old thread, since there isnt too many reviews for the Corvina i thought i should say that i believe the reason you cant tell the difference between Main and Battery power is that its always battery, when you plug it in its simply charging the battery while you use it, which is much better for Isolating your system :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back