Red Paint for Altoid Tin
Dec 3, 2002 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I want to build my amps in a red altoid tiin (I decided against the bullet proof enclosure
very_evil_smiley.gif
)...one problem...paint....anyone know of good red paint that could easily be applied to an Altoid tin?

Dec 3, 2002 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 4
you can try to use scale model cars (little toy cars..) paint, it is very thin, flexible and it should work well..sand down the paint of the can with a very thin sandpaper(or just paint over) and apply some primer, then do 3 to 4 very thin coats of paint from at least 8-10 inches from the can ( is is a comon mistake to spray so close to the can that the paint wil run and drip) and then you can use some clear coat..let it dry for a couple of days and you should have the coolest mint can ever....remember to drill everything before painting....

hope this helps..

m.

Dec 3, 2002 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
I want to build my amps in a red altoid tiin (I decided against the bullet proof enclosure
very_evil_smiley.gif
)...one problem...paint....anyone know of good red paint that could easily be applied to an Altoid tin?

Spray a layer of white (for bright red) or black (for darker red) paint as a basecoat first. This will also act as a primer. Sanding the can before hand is better but judging from your post, I reckon you don't want to spend too much time.
Spray multiple coats of red paint and finish off with lacquer or clear coat.
It's also possible to use automobile polish or wax. That would give a hardier protection.

Dec 3, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Cool....thanks guys!

What spray paint would you recommend for base coat and final coat? What car wax?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back