Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Greatest Hits
Feb 23, 2005 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Wil

1000+ Head-Fier
is it me or is this recording absolutely horrible?

Was listening to it thru my Senns HD-595 , Rotel RCD 1072 and Spark HA-1A amp and it was absolutely BRIGHT. My ears hurt. I swear.

I've heard that RHCP recordings have always been bad....is this true?

Feb 24, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 15
Oh. So it wasnt just me. The silibance was horrible. I thought my iPod was malfunctioning.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil
is it me or is this recording absolutely horrible?

Was listening to it thru my Senns HD-595 , Rotel RCD 1072 and Spark HA-1A amp and it was absolutely BRIGHT. My ears hurt. I swear.

I've heard that RHCP recordings have always been bad....is this true?

The RHCP's are some cheap sons of bit ches when it comes to getting the studio production up to par. I always wondered if they do it to increase their bottom line profit. It is a damn shame, cause they are talented.

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 15
I always felt the Red Hot Chili Peppers-Greatest Hits was a contradiction in terms.

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 15
Hmm.

I always found the tracks on "What Hits" to sound bright, albeit punchy and free of heavy-handed compression, which is a good thing.

I always felt that Californication is an awful sounding album, but solid tracks, save a few.

By the way sounds remarkable good, but a little narrow in regards to imaging and soundstage. Sure, it's bright but clean and doesn't have the same over-compressed issues Californication has. It's definitely a more solid album too in regards to the songs featured, i found myself enjoying every tune on it eventually.

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 15
Me too! my ex girlfriend bought me this album and being a chilipeppers fan i was pretty happy, until i stuck it into the cd player.
frown.gif
mad.gif
It's a dam shame because their music is really good. Another thing that pisses me off is theres no 'can't stop' on this album! What the heck! Greatest hits without can't stop? Methinks not.

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 15
Yeah, if it was up to me I'd replace "Parallel Universe" and "Save the Popluation" with "Can't Stop" and "The Zephyr Song."

But I know what you mean about the recordings...and it is a shame. It sucks to have to decide between the music and the sound quality, because it's a harder decision than you may think.

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 15
Hm.

i totally agree with you onionblaster. At the end of the day i figure that the bad recording doesnt allow me to concentrate on the music ( my mind will be on the sibilance = P ) and after a very brief listen i just give up!

* to side track a little. Im listening to Led Zep , BBC sessions, and heck, even that sounds better than RHCP records!

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #15 of 15
They aren't all that great live either, unless you happen to catch them in the sweet spot.(i.e. far enough into the tour to sound tight and together, but not so far that they have lost the passion again)

It is too bad about the sound quality on the albums, By The Way had a lot of tracks that would have been great to demo with. Luckily, it was in my car stereo 24/7 at the time, so I didn't have a sterile enough listening environment to notice all the sibilance and compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back