Red Book CD Player for $100-$300?
Aug 13, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taosman
One thing about CD sources is the quick advancement that has taken place in CD sound through better chip sets.

Even a cheap DVD player will embarrass a 5 year old $1000 player!
It doesn't make much sense to buy a CD player that is more than a few years old.
My cheap Coby DVD player kills the $500 Sony CD player I just gave away!

What Chip sets, the DAC's? Where did you read this?

Aug 13, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #32 of 35
Go to Sam's club. Fry's or Costco and find the cheapest DVD/CD/Etc.. player you can lay your hands on. Go to Best Buy and get a Monster or AR coax digital cable. Connect the coax to the digital out of the SAMs/Costco and connect it into a Lite Audio DAC AH.

You will blow away all the Azurs, NADs etc.. hands down.

Aug 13, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemeteor
Go to Sam's club. Fry's or Costco and find the cheapest DVD/CD/Etc.. player you can lay your hands on. Go to Best Buy and get a Monster or AR coax digital cable. Connect the coax to the digital out of the SAMs/Costco and connect it into a Lite Audio DAC AH.

Yeah literally, watch while that universal self-destructs and breaks in a couple of weeks.

Aug 13, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemeteor

I agree on the DAC-AH. But all my research into the subject shows that a DVD player makes a poor transport, it has to do with the clock frequency and PLL optimized for video not redbook

Aug 14, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #35 of 35
i think some of you have a few things wrong.

indeed a new $50 dvp will beat a 5 year old sony due to advancements in dac's. however, good luck beating a 16 year old mark levinson reference transport/dac/psu with anything new or old. even new ml stuff.

also, if it came to nad,music hall,cambridge,low end musical fidelity etc, i'll take the $50 philips thank you. it is just a better value. no, it does not sound as good as the $500-$1,000 players i just mentioned. but come end of warranty would you rather be out of $50 or out of $1,000? these companies all have known quality control issues. i have peeked inside all of these. in all honesty many of the $500+ chinese players are slapped together worse than the philips is. philips is big enough that they can afford good assembly techniques.

i do say get an old machine. but not a old machine that was $500 and is now $75. no, get an old machine that was $20,000 and now $4,000. if you can swing that you should be all set. good stuff like ml should have parts for years to come so don't even worry.

yes, i know this was about $100 to $300 and this post is on topic. reason being that $100-$300 for a cdp nowdays is a worse investment than $50. so if you are going that route save yourself $250 for some cd's!

music_man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back