Rectifiers.....why
May 14, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #31 of 49
I believe we wanted a shootout between the Takatsuki 274B and the KR-Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition, so here we go!

Both setups are identical:

Silver Woo Audio WA6-SE w/Synergistic Research Purple Fuse, GE 13EM7 drivers and a Silver Musician Pegasus R2R DAC also with dual Synergistic Research Purple fuses and the Takatsuki 274B.

Black Woo Audio WA6-SE w/Synergistic Research Purple Fuse, GE 13EM7 drivers and a Black Musician Pegasus R2R DAC also with dual Synergistic Research Purple fuses and the KR-AUDIO 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition.

I will use my Meze Elite "Dark Mystery" with Meze PCUHD Silver 1/4" cable.

Source will be the same PC running Tidal MQA tracks vai USB to the Pegasuses (Pegasii?).

Anyway, let the games begin!
20220514_194736.jpg

20220514_194744.jpg

20220514_194753.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #32 of 49
Ok, so here are my initial thoughts:

1) Both the Takatsuki 274B and the KR-Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition are DEAD QUIET. In my Woo's, both at full crank produce NO NOISE WHATSOEVER.

2) The Takatsuki 274B is the leaner and cleaner of the two. It's probably faster, more precise, and more spacious. The soundstage is wide open, everything is exactly where it should be. It is VERY clean sounding, meaning it doesn't really add much warmth to the sound. Plenty of energy, speed, and breath. It does not suffer from tube sag when pushed.

3) The KR-Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition is the beefier, heavier-hitting of the two. If you want that warm, rich "tubey" sound, this is the one you want. Plenty fast, plenty of energy, but a touch slower than the Takatsuki. It is MUCH heavier sounding though, so bass and sub-bass are more rich and lush. It is not as precise as the Takatsuki, though, so there's less air or soundstage.

Avenge Sevenfold's cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" is an excellent example of space and separation. The opening guitars are resolved quite clearly by both tubes. With the RK KR, you get more of that tube amp sound, whereas with the Takatsuki you get more detail. The kick drum is more impactful and the cymbal strikes are excellent with both, but the KR RK is a bit more full sounding.

Phil Collins's "I Don't Care Anymore" opening drums sound incredible with both tubes, and I personally like the Takatsuki on this track. The strikes are sharper and have more of a wide presence. The KR RK are more emphasized. BTW, the Hellyeah cover of this song is a trip.

Dave Matthews Band "Ants Marching (Live at State Theater, Sidney, New South Wales, Australia - March 2005)" is an excellent demonstration of how to show off a tight-sounding tube and amp. The entire track is well-recorded and sounds phenomenal. The snare drum at the opening rings true on both tubes. The bass has more definition with the KR RK.

Jamey Johnson "In Color" shows off male vocals well. There's a lot of thickness to his voice, and I think the KR RK does a better job of reproducing the gravitas. The guitar is cleaner and sharper with the Takatsuki.

Boston "More Than A Feeling" sounds better on the Takatsuki. Personally, one of my top-5 favorite songs of all time. The opening double-tracked guitar and the bass drop-in just sound better. They ring more true on the Takatsuki. On the KR RK everything is just a bit too heavy.

Anne Hathaway's rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Mise'rables shows off a (surprisingly) strong female vocal performance. When she ramps up "sha-a-a-A-AAA-AAAAAME!" you can hear how well a tube can produce power on demand. Both tubes do a fantastic job with this track.

Verdict: Takatsuki 274B is a bit more technically precise while the KR Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition wins in tube warmth. Dealer's choice - both are excellent tubes, each with their own best traits.

Feel free to ask me to test specific tracks if you wish.

May 15, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #33 of 49

1) Both the Takatsuki 274B and the KR-Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition are DEAD QUIET. In my Woo's, both at full crank produce NO NOISE WHATSOEVER.

2) The Takatsuki 274B is the leaner and cleaner of the two. It's probably faster, more precise, and more spacious. The soundstage is wide open, everything is exactly where it should be. It is VERY clean sounding, meaning it doesn't really add much warmth to the sound. Plenty of energy, speed, and breath. It does not suffer from tube sag when pushed.

3) The KR-Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition is the beefier, heavier-hitting of the two. If you want that warm, rich "tubey" sound, this is the one you want. Plenty fast, plenty of energy, but a touch slower than the Takatsuki. It is MUCH heavier sounding though, so bass and sub-bass are more rich and lush. It is not as precise as the Takatsuki, though, so there's less air or soundstage.

Avenge Sevenfold's cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" is an excellent example of space and separation. The opening guitars are resolved quite clearly by both tubes. With the RK KR, you get more of that tube amp sound, whereas with the Takatsuki you get more detail. The kick drum is more impactful and the cymbal strikes are excellent with both, but the KR RK is a bit more full sounding.

Phil Collins's "I Don't Care Anymore" opening drums sound incredible with both tubes, and I personally like the Takatsuki on this track. The strikes are sharper and have more of a wide presence. The KR RK are more emphasized. BTW, the Hellyeah cover of this song is a trip.

Dave Matthews Band "Ants Marching (Live at State Theater, Sidney, New South Wales, Australia - March 2005)" is an excellent demonstration of how to show off a tight-sounding tube and amp. The entire track is well-recorded and sounds phenomenal. The snare drum at the opening rings true on both tubes. The bass has more definition with the KR RK.

Jamey Johnson "In Color" shows off male vocals well. There's a lot of thickness to his voice, and I think the KR RK does a better job of reproducing the gravitas. The guitar is cleaner and sharper with the Takatsuki.

Boston "More Than A Feeling" sounds better on the Takatsuki. Personally, one of my top-5 favorite songs of all time. The opening double-tracked guitar and the bass drop-in just sound better. They ring more true on the Takatsuki. On the KR RK everything is just a bit too heavy.

Anne Hathaway's rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Mise'rables shows off a (surprisingly) strong female vocal performance. When she ramps up "sha-a-a-A-AAA-AAAAAME!" you can hear how well a tube can produce power on demand. Both tubes do a fantastic job with this track.

Verdict: Takatsuki 274B is a bit more technically precise while the KR Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition wins in tube warmth. Dealer's choice - both are excellent tubes, each with their own best traits.

Dear ColSaulTigh,

you did a GREAT job! Thank you very much for a rare in-depth review of the Takatsuki Denki TA-274B (and the KR RK 5U4G)!

Do you allow me to point it out on the main thread about rectifiers ( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dub...mparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/ ) ? People would be thrilled to read your findings.

Have a great Sunday

May 15, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #34 of 49

This's to satisfy my curiosity : do you prefer the KR RK 5U4G respect to the KR 274B-HP since you chose the first for the comparison?

May 15, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #35 of 49
Dear ColSaulTigh,

you did a GREAT job! Thank you very much for a rare in-depth review of the Takatsuki Denki TA-274B (and the KR RK 5U4G)!

Do you allow me to point it out on the main thread about rectifiers ( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dub...mparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/ ) ? People would be thrilled to read your findings.

Have a great Sunday
Not at all - please feel free.
This's to satisfy my curiosity : do you prefer the KR RK 5U4G respect to the KR 274B-HP since you chose the first for the comparison?
My personal preference is the KR RK, but only because most of what I listen to (classic rock, country, blues) sounds better with a warmer tube. If you like classical, techno, etc. And need clean and precise, I'd say the Takatsuki is just fine. In fact, I ordered another one last night, along with a matched pair of Takatsuki 300Bs for my Woo Audio WA5-LE.

May 15, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #36 of 49
Not at all - please feel free.

My personal preference is the KR RK, but only because most of what I listen to (classic rock, country, blues) sounds better with a warmer tube. If you like classical, techno, etc. And need clean and precise, I'd say the Takatsuki is just fine. In fact, I ordered another one last night, along with a matched pair of Takatsuki 300Bs for my Woo Audio WA5-LE.
Thank you very much and congratulations for your equipment!

May 15, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #37 of 49

Very interesting review! It sounds like a casre can be made to own both! Once I replace the rest of my stock tubes on my WA22 I will probably come back around to these rectifiers. For now I'm about to bust a gut to get my emission labs 5u4g mesh in the mail. Once again thanks for the suggestion yesterday! Happy listening my friend.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #38 of 49
Very interesting review! It sounds like a Cade can be made to own both! Once I replace the rest of my stock tubes on my WA22 I will probably come back around to these rectifiers. For now I'm about to bust a gut to get my emission labs 5u4g mesh I'm the mail. Once again thanks for the suggestion yesterday! Happy listening my friend.
My pleasure! One of the main reasons I keep that setup is just so I can do A:B comparisons like this. I keep going back and forth on selling them since I have the WA5-LE, but can't bring myself to get rid of anything.

May 15, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #39 of 49
My pleasure! One of the main reasons I keep that setup is just so I can do A:B comparisons like this. I keep going back and forth on selling them since I have the WA5-LE, but can't bring myself to get rid of anything.
Not many ppl get the chance to do something like that. Enjoy it!

May 16, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #40 of 49
Now you guys have me wanting to try one of these in my WA22. I’m using a USAF 596 rectifier now. @Roasty, what’s the difference in the sound of these two tubes?

Attachments

• 52456C4E-26E8-4DB5-8474-E076961FEB0B.jpeg
    52456C4E-26E8-4DB5-8474-E076961FEB0B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
May 16, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #41 of 49
Takatsuki 274B: Clean and crisp with plenty of power - Sparkling Water.
USAF "Mighty" 596: Bold, syrupy, thick, and beefy - Cabernet Sauvignon.

May 16, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #42 of 49
• The HF high/end version of “Tastes Great, Less Filling”:
636FF0C9-7DC9-403E-BF33-D6D3492FB2F8.jpeg

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #44 of 49
@ColSaulTigh :
However bass slam or bass weight is not in the lines of the Takatsuki as fas as I understood from your review (?)
I think you tagged the wrong person. However that is what I got from the review too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back