Recs for Beethoven piano sonatas?
Jan 29, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Chris T
Emil Gilels.

what he said. Unfortunately Gilels did not leave us a complete set, but what there is (especially the late sonatas) is wonderful. Also Richard Goode on Nonesuch, Claude Frank on Music & Arts (was on RCA Victrola 30 years ago for those with long memories), also I've been enjoying Backhaus's Decca set recently. No single artist takes the full measure of this great music...

And Kempff also, how could I forget...

Jan 29, 2003 at 9:59 AM Post #18 of 18
Of the ones stated, I will echo Brendel, Richter and to a lesser extent Goode, and I'll add Rudlof Serkin and Artur Rubinstein into the mix. Serkin's playing isn't quite as flashy as some others, but there's always an amazingly keen sense of musicality and emotion that flows through his music.

I'm a big fan of Artur Rubinstein's playing in general (although I'm fairly disappointed in his Liszt), and I really enjoy his takes on some of the well known Beethoven sonatas - particularly the Appassionata. His playing is always full of energy and vibrance, without ever being overly romantic or dramatic. I don't believe he recorded the complete set, however.

As a former piano major, I can attest to the frustration of getting in on the good pianos, although at the U. of Oklahoma I usually didn't have a hard time getting to a Steinway (either a baby grand or upright, though Steinway uprights don't really impress me much), and at least once a week I'd get some time in on either a 7' or 9' grand, both well maintained. Man I miss playing a 9' steinway in a good concert hall!
biggrin.gif

I'm trying to keep up on my own, although I'm finding it hard to stay as focused and disciplined now that I don't have a teacher and I'm out in the "real world" where piano is, for now, only one of my interests and not my main pursuit. Right now I'm working on the Chaconne in D minor (Bach-Busoni), but I have to admit it's easier to dig in to those harder passages when you've got weekly goals set by your prof!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back