Records warped brand-new out of the sleeve
Dec 28, 2009 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
I just picked up Opeth's "My Arms Your Hearse" LP on blue vinyl, and both of the records are warped
frown.gif
The first one is very minor, but I can see the cartridge bump up a little bit when it rotates. The second is pretty bad and the cartridge is in a constant up and down motion. Should I return the LPs? The record doesn't skip or sound really distorted, but I'd rather have unwarped LPs.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up Opeth's "My Arms Your Hearse" LP on blue vinyl, and both of the records are warped
frown.gif
The first one is very minor, but I can see the cartridge bump up a little bit when it rotates. The second is pretty bad and the cartridge is in a constant up and down motion. Should I return the LPs? The record doesn't skip or sound really distorted, but I'd rather have unwarped LPs.

Though I've never tried it, you can try this method.

the audio analyst© unwarp your lps

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 13
My feeling is that you need to return the album. If you don't, then the manufacturer will be of the opinion that their current quality control is adequate and that their customers are satisfied. And, actually -- based on what you're saying --- you are not satisfied!

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 13
They most likely warped on the retail store's shelf due to improper storage; how can a store show and properly store an LP at the same time?

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 13
^That was what I thought, Pincher. Seems to make sense... I got the LP off of a main "display". So I think that the store would be obligated to refund or at least replace the record.

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 13
I get a lot of warped records, but many of them work themselves out over time on my shelf. But the 180g records don't seem to ever flatten out. I have been known to return my fair share though.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^That was what I thought, Pincher. Seems to make sense... I got the LP off of a main "display". So I think that the store would be obligated to refund or at least replace the record.

You can ask and I'll wish you good luck.

I've bought a few records like this and it's annoying. Where I think the biggest problem are the displays that allow customers to flip through the stack with a front view. Next time you're at the music store, watch what happens to records closest to the customer as they paw their way through the stack; they begin to bend under the load, and if the record sits in the store for months on end it warps.

Just my thoughts.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 13
Glad you caught that detail in my post and were able to make a connection, Scott. That very well could be the case. I may try and take it back, but as long as it plays I'm not going to take time out specifically to return the LPs.

Thanks all.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 13
If you are at the store when you buy them walk out side open the LP and look at the record. I have found many a bad record this way. Before you drive home just exchange it for another. There seems to be some bad records out there now as the golden age of vinyl had pressings done right and now they are just trying to get the whole process to work again. They are using old presses and just getting the hang of it again.

After you see a lot of bad records you will just be able to see the warp a lot of the time. Some records have a little warp which seems OK even though it still will cause wow and your sub will move way in and out at the sub harmonic frequencies.

I have even spun them on my index finger to see if I could see them spin warped. This works a little. Just look down the side and many times you will see a major potato chip type warp.

I have heard that you can take two pieces of glass and some books go out in the sun when it is summer and leave your records under the sun for a while to dewarp them. I have never done this but do plan on trying it on some.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 13
If you find this to be a problem, why not open it right there at the register BEFORE you buy it? Tell the clerk that you want to buy the record but you want to inspect it for warping. If they don't allow pre-inspection, make sure they have a return policy, buy the record, and then open it up BEFORE you leave the store, right there at the counter the moment after the transaction. Clerks who are vinyl fans themselves will understand and be tolerant of you opening up your purchases.

If they aren't, then you need to find another store.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 13
I buy quite a few records from Europe and recently got an ambient album that was fairly warped. It still plays though, so I'm not stressin about it. When I buy in a store I always check to see if it's flat and look for scuffs/scratches.

If it was display, I'm sure they will oblige you Ling. Unless something I buy is new vinyl, I buy VG+ and have never had an issue with playability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back