Records that sound AWESOME just the way they came out (CDDA)
Nov 26, 2009 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

non-entity

Head-Fier
Hello there!

I was just wondering if you guys could suggest me really good "reference albums", like the debut from Rage Against the Machine. I knew this album before I really cared about sonic quality; most of the time I was listening to this record through my notebook speakers. When I focused on the material for the first time through a "proper" system it really blew me away, and by now I didn't find many albums that sound THIS.... well, I'm afraid I can't explain. Maybe you get what I'm trying to say?
atsmile.gif

The other albums that are like this (for me) are "Thirteenth Step" by A perfect Circle and "Bone Machine" from Tom Waits. One thing is funny: as far as I know all of them were mastered by Bob Ludwig, a fact I didn't know. Well, there are some well known remasters that are quite fine to my ears, but none of these were really as satisfying as the albums I mentioned. Maybe it's a matter of personal preference, but I really think that there aren't that many albums that were recorded, produced/mixed and mastered with so much care. Let's take "Bone Machine" for example, it isn't the "clearest" record I know, in my opinion it's even grainy at some places (intended by Waits, I guess) but to those who have this record and don't think it's good: LISTEN TO "Jesus Gonna Be Here" OR "Murder in the Red Barn" AND FOCUS ON IT! This areal feel to it is SO unique in my opinion... EARGASMIC!
jecklinsmile.gif

So, what records make you feel this way? The title of this thread may be a little misleading, in fact I don't care that much whether it is the first issue or not, I'd just prefer this since it seems a little "closer to the real thing" (at least to me). Oh, and genere or release date (digital/analog recording&mixing) doesn't matter, I just want to get some new stuff that is mesmerizing
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance to everybody who takes the time to read this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back