Recording studio that uses tubes...
Mar 31, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 8
I can't seem to find the samples. Am I blind? This seems to be interesting. I hope to pair a tube preamp to my solid state system in the coming months.

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
Am I blind?

Just as long as you are not deaf...eh...

Click "Infos", then "Audio Sample" and finally the speaker icon...

JF

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 8
didn't the white stripes record elephant in a tubed out recording studio?

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 8
that's pretty cool. like binaural without ears.

prod_2.jpg

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 8
These mp3s sound pretty good. I just might try a cd out if I can find one with music I would like enough to buy.

Mar 31, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
didn't the white stripes record elephant in a tubed out recording studio?

Yeah and for $10,000... I really should remember what that studio is called. Oh well :p It's only a google away!

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Tim de Paravicini of E.A.R. supplys recording studios with custom equipment. Some info here. .

Some tubes are in the mix somewhere. Interesting comments.

"Users of his tape recording systems, microphones, and other recording technology include performers Pink Floyd and Lenny Kravitz, and the Altarus and Water Lily record labels. One of the world's highest-ranked mastering facilities, The Exchange in London, uses two playback systems in which the entire chain--from tape machines and equalizers to cutter amplifiers and monitoring equipment--is E.A.R.-designed and built."

smily_headphones1.gif
"Oh, God, I hate DATs. Stopping and starting with those things is a pain in the ass."

"Any warmth in the tube sound is a defect, but listeners don't want to know that."

"I don't have to use tubes in my designs; I only do it for marketing reasons. I've got an exact equivalent in solid state. I can make either type do the same job, and I have no preference. People can't pick which is which. And electrons have no memory of where they've been! The end result is what counts."

"You have seen my 549s driving the Ortofon cutting head on the Neumann disc-cutting lathe at the Exchange in Camden Town, London. PUK studios in Denmark use my equipment too. I do disc cutting myself at The Exchange for various record companies. I have two cutting lathes that are driven by my valve amps, and I have designed a unique way of driving the cutting head to get better accuracy. It is cleaner than normal, but I do ensure that the old digital delay lines for Varigroove are not used. Most of the stuff cut nowadays is constant pitch anyway, so we dispense with that sort of thing. I produce new cuts from old master tapes and it revives them. A lot of those old recordings were of fine quality, providing they are replayed properly on recorders having the right equalisation. I believe EMI got the replay equalisation wrong with some of the Beatles reissue CDs, which is why they sound so bad."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back