Recording quality?
Jun 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #46 of 48
So I just got Micheal Jackson album, and noticed the popular track's bass distort's my headphones.  I'm so disappointed.  Why is that so? Poor mastering, the quality is lacking wit this album I've noticed.  Why do this to Michael Jackson?  
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #47 of 48

I have trouble accepting that. I find that if the musical content is sufficiently captivating I can ignore just about any kind of technical issue.

Anybody who listened to commercial AM (pirate radio, Radio Luxembourg) in the UK in the 60's and 70's will know what I'm talking about. We got a bit frustrated when the audio faded out completely, but it had to be really bad before we gave up listening. Like, big chunks missing.

That's why I find the whole audiophile business so frustrating and, IMO, pretentious. Good quality reproduction is nice, but as far as I'm concerned it's not the be-all and end-all when it comes to enjoying recorded or broadcast music.

w

Another man that listens to music rather than equipment.  The only music I don't listen to is music that is performed badly or music I don't like.  Good sound is a bonus but certainly not a deal breaker.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #48 of 48
  There are bad recordings, but a lot of them are brilliant and historical. Bob Dylan can be whiny and distant, The Beatles can be bright, and old Louis Armstrong stuff can tear out my eardrum. But I would never give up listening to those old, naively mastered albums. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Criticism should be tempered by context. The modern albums though, the ones playing into the loudness-war, made by producers and mastering engineers that should and probably do know better, when they excrete something with a waveform that looks like a brick and sounds like a construction site, that should result in a public tar and feathering of Death Magnetic proportions each and every time.

I concur.

Artist influence and the loudness war are entirely different reasons that contribute to an atrocious mastering. I much prefer the Artist influence and it is one of the reasons I still listen to a lot of artists whose records can be unbearable at times to listen to. Artist influence I believe is largely important as it conveys the music as the artist so intended it, and this alone adds gravitas to the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back