Recording Methods & Sound Stage - HP vs Speakers
Jul 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #16 of 17
proper Binaural relies on the use of HQ omnis set at the entrance to the ear canals on an artificial head that is more/less an accurate mock up of an actual human head. ..(this is important , allowing for all the ear features..the ridges of the outer ear modify the frequency balance of the originating sound)

Jecklin does not work as well as Schneider, Aachen Head, KEMAR, etc. (I do love Jecklin for normal stereo recording as I feel it is a superior technique(as is blumlein).

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, is this "Essence STX" audiophile quality, or will the typical environment inside a desktop create too much noise? How much is it? Also, by "upmix to 5.1 or 7.1" did you mean something like convert stereo to Dolby Headphone? If so, why do you think it should be avoided?

Dolby Headphone is designed to simulate 5 speakers. As most music is mastered for stereo, you only need it to simulate 2 speakers. Any upmixing across the other virtual speakers alters the mastered soundstage.

Having read up a bit on the Essence STX, I believe that it's actually bettered by the more recently released Essence ST due to the latter's onboard clock and better connectivity. Both these cards, and the Xonar D2 / D2X (which don't have the Essence range's built in headphone amp) have an EMI sheild protecting the analogue pathway. Have a look in the computer audio forum for impressions from those that own them.

I've noticed no undue noise when listening to my D2 with most full size headphones. Using some low quality cable extensions into a relatively sensitive IEM did result in a little noticeable noise however. Better shielded cables seemed to solve this.

Edit: In the UK the Essence ST and STX seem to retail for about £130 to £150. The D2 and D2X are around £80 to £100.

Further Edit: Dolby Headphone applied to standard recordings isn't quite on par with true binaural but it's the closest artificial algorithm I've heard yet. It's quite headphone dependent too. Anything with an already 'in front' headstage may not have particularly good synergy with it, resulting in a rather artificial sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back