Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
May 5, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,352 of 1,817
Wouldn’t it better to have the mic gain all the way down and to have the speakers at the highest volume tolerable. To remove any outside sound pickup and to just pickup the sweep from the speakers?
That would be the best way to minimize unwanted noise, but the higher the SPL the more of the room you will hear, so problematic resonances will be more apparent. If one had a really great room, then sure.

May 5, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #1,353 of 1,817
The difference between those two speakers would be very difficult to notice. I have both the 8 inch and 5 inch JBL LSR 1st gen speakers. The main advantage of the larger speakers is more volume and slightly more extended bass response. Both still roll off quite heavily at about 90hz though.
They roll off below 50Hz not at 90Hz.
308P is (+/- 3dB): 45 - 20.000 Hz
305P is (+/- 3dB): 49 - 20.000 Hz

May 5, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #1,354 of 1,817
Wouldn’t it better to have the mic gain all the way down and to have the speakers at the highest volume tolerable. To remove any outside sound pickup and to just pickup the sweep from the speakers?

Theoretically yes. Practically with the highest tolerable speaker volume the used mics still need some pre-amplification to record a good signal.

May 6, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #1,355 of 1,817
They roll off below 50Hz not at 90Hz.
308P is (+/- 3dB): 45 - 20.000 Hz
305P is (+/- 3dB): 49 - 20.000 Hz
I wish mine got down to 45 and 49hz, the measurements I've taken roll off much earlier than that. 50hz is nearly inaudible on my rig with either of those speakers. Maybe my room is worse than I thought and I've got some heavy cancelation going on... I'll have to try setting them up in a different, larger room sometime and see what kind of results I get.

May 7, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #1,357 of 1,817
End cap.PNG

20210507_013112.jpg

Soundprofessionals MS-CB-900 + Rubber Cap

I attach this microphone to the front of the ear canal quickly and easily.

So far, it's accurate. I'd like to compare it with BACCH-BM, but it's too expensive to do so.

I tried to solve the problem of hrir that I posted before by giving a delay to the microphone, but in the end, I couldn't solve the defect.

So I measure it again with a new microphone and speaker. The result is very good.

FL-left.png

FR-right.png

headphones.png

2.PNG

1.PNG
\\

3.PNG

HD800S , Behringer B2031A + SVS PB2000PRO

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,358 of 1,817

Soundprofessionals MS-CB-900 + Rubber Cap

I attach this microphone to the front of the ear canal quickly and easily.

So far, it's accurate. I'd like to compare it with BACCH-BM, but it's too expensive to do so.

I tried to solve the problem of hrir that I posted before by giving a delay to the microphone, but in the end, I couldn't solve the defect.

So I measure it again with a new microphone and speaker. The result is very good.

\\

HD800S , Behringer B2031A + SVS PB2000PRO
Very interesting mics, I hadn't thought about trying those. It looks like getting consistent results with those rubber caps would be pretty easy compared to gluing the metal capsules of the mics I'm using to foam earplugs.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,360 of 1,817
Just been to get hearing aids for my mum and they used this
Is this something we could use in place of in ear mics?

I believe so, but I think a physician is required to perform the insertion? I heard the mics are expensive, too. I remember asking someone who worked with audiologist on another forum about them and I think he said are north of 1,000 USD, though he didn't specify the exact amount. That's not unobtainable or anything, but that's more than I'm willing to spend.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #1,362 of 1,817
Guys i think i have a little too much high frequencies in my recordings, it sounds a little unnatural and enhausting to hear in long periods when i'm playing something like harmonica/flute and such

c5C3lNe.png

i don't know if it's the spike at 3k or the one at 15k

ironically, if i deactivate hesuvi i listen my headphones to be less sharper than with the hrir on, a lot less; this should be positive if weren't like if someone is trying to cut my eardrums

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #1,364 of 1,817
Hi, i've finally received my umc 202 hd, no more "zigzag" in my plots.So i'm getting some results, but until know no good spatialisation. I'm beginning to think that my brain is not receptive to virtualisation. I've experimented a not so bad stereo virtualisation obtained at the end of the day (tired?) and next morning (awake!), with the exact same configuration no more spatialisation ! So i doubt... It brings me a question to the owners of smyth realiser : is is the same difficulties to obtain good virtualisation ?

May 14, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #1,365 of 1,817
Hi, i've finally received my umc 202 hd, no more "zigzag" in my plots.So i'm getting some results, but until know no good spatialisation. I'm beginning to think that my brain is not receptive to virtualisation. I've experimented a not so bad stereo virtualisation obtained at the end of the day (tired?) and next morning (awake!), with the exact same configuration no more spatialisation ! So i doubt... It brings me a question to the owners of smyth realiser : is is the same difficulties to obtain good virtualisation ?
I’ve had problems in the past. Sometimes the windows update can mess with my hrir so I end up having to remove all sound drivers (except behringer), restart, delete the eqAPO folder with hesuvi inside, restart again for windows to automatically install sound drivers, then install vbcable, eqAPO and hesuvi then set everything back to how it was. It’s a pain.

If that doesn’t work try what I’ve posted earlier where I extract the headphone eq and used that in hesuvi. It gives more virtualisation for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back