Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Sep 29, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #691 of 1,817
What program did you use for that graph? So I can check it with new measurements.
Audacity

Maybe I'm listening to sweeps too loud and its either echoing too much or feeding into the other mic. I'm actually using the speaker at full volume with pc on full and with behringer on full with full amp to get low between 1db and 5db headroom.
You use the full pre-amplification for the mics and everything at maximum volume?

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #692 of 1,817
You use the full pre-amplification for the mics and everything at maximum volume?
Yeh to get headroom between 1-5db otherwise it’s around 9-15db. Does headroom matter that much I believe you said it’s only for volume.

mics the gain is around 9 o’clock otherwise it’ll clip. But everything is else is full on behringer, pc and speaker

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #693 of 1,817
I have managed to resolve the issue. If anyone in future is stuck with this problem here is what I was doing wrong. The gain is what I needed to adjust to get a low headroom reading. I was using full volume on everything which was too loud. Putting the volume a little higher than mid on Behringer and the speaker and full on pc with gain on both mics set to 2pm and amp to 4pm position has given me really good plots. I am blown away with the details I am now hearing and the illusion of real speakers. I know I can do a little better with tweaks and a quieter room but right now I am gobsmacked.

Oct 22, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #695 of 1,817
Hi, I'm having a weird issue where 7.1 movies and games sound phenomenal but 5.1 movies don't. They sound a little better than stereo. Have I overlooked something?

And can I ask what player you use for playing video to work best with 7.1 and maybe the settings guide that I should follow for that player

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #696 of 1,817
This whole project is absolutely amazing. I just started trying Impulcifer this past weekend and I've already got a personalized BRIR that absolutely blows away anything else I've ever used before, and this is just in stereo without using any room correction though I just got the mic and calibration file yesterday so that's on the to-do list for this week. This is the very first time I've been able to use headphones and not feel like it's a massive compromise. I'm using HiFiMan Anandas right now and I can't wait to go back and transform my favorite HRIRs to be used with my other headphones, as well as recording new BRIRs with them.

Toggling back and forth between the BRIR listening experience and completely dry and it's jaw dropping. Its really highlights just how unnatural and bad headphones sound without virtualization. It's like all of the details and imaging are a jumbled and harsh mess to me, even with AutoEQ correction applied, and then BOOM - as soon as I activate Hesuvi with one of my favorite BRIRs, the sound unfolds into something that has so much more depth and dimension, not to mention it seems much more clear, like using the headphones without the virtualization is cramming too much sound through a narrow straw.

@jaakkopasanen - thank you so much for all of the work you've done here, it's almost impossible for me to overstate just how much of an impact this has had in my enjoyment of music. I can't use my speakers 95% of the time due to apartment life and now, for once, I don't even want to listen to my speaker setup - there's no need since there's no compromise now!

My goal this week is to create some 7.1 surround BRIRs and try it out in some games. If the localization is anywhere as near as good as it has been in stereo for me then I am prepared to have my mind blown. :k701smile:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #697 of 1,817
This whole project is absolutely amazing. I just started trying Impulcifer this past weekend and I've already got a personalized BRIR that absolutely blows away anything else I've ever used before, and this is just in stereo without using any room correction though I just got the mic and calibration file yesterday so that's on the to-do list for this week. This is the very first time I've been able to use headphones and not feel like it's a massive compromise. I'm using HiFiMan Anandas right now and I can't wait to go back and transform my favorite HRIRs to be used with my other headphones, as well as recording new BRIRs with them.

Toggling back and forth between the BRIR listening experience and completely dry and it's jaw dropping. Its really highlights just how unnatural and bad headphones sound without virtualization. It's like all of the details and imaging are a jumbled and harsh mess to me, even with AutoEQ correction applied, and then BOOM - as soon as I activate Hesuvi with one of my favorite BRIRs, the sound unfolds into something that has so much more depth and dimension, not to mention it seems much more clear, like using the headphones without the virtualization is cramming too much sound through a narrow straw.

@jaakkopasanen - thank you so much for all of the work you've done here, it's almost impossible for me to overstate just how much of an impact this has had in my enjoyment of music. I can't use my speakers 95% of the time due to apartment life and now, for once, I don't even want to listen to my speaker setup - there's no need since there's no compromise now!

My goal this week is to create some 7.1 surround BRIRs and try it out in some games. If the localization is anywhere as near as good as it has been in stereo for me then I am prepared to have my mind blown. :k701smile:
🤗

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #698 of 1,817

This is a very good summary of my experience as well. The sound stage, imaging, tonal balance, overall sound quality, detail and clarity using Impulcifer is by far the best sound I've ever heard in decades of listening. Stunning is an understatement. It's also as if the performers are live in front of me, as there's no perception of speakers at all, just the sound. Truly astonishing. I also don't listen to my speakers anymore, and in fact just sold them! I live in a townhouse, and was actually seriously looking at buying a house so that I could play music any time at any volume without disturbing my neighbors. That necessity totally disappeared when I found Impulcifer. It literally, and dramatically changed my life, and has given me a huge improvement in my appreciation of music. Jaakko deserves all the praise and recognition for the gift he's so generously given us.

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #699 of 1,817

It really is amazing and also the help from this forum is fantastic especially for a noob like me.

Definitely do the 7.1 measurements because they will change the immersion in games and movies and bring it to a whole new level. I’ve said it before but the upgrade in sound is like going from a vcd quality video to 4K hdr oled. Makes a big impact. I’m actually looking for a place that is quiet so I can measure as best as possible. Might even go as far to get a hotel room if I have to.

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #700 of 1,817
It really is amazing and also the help from this forum is fantastic especially for a noob like me.

Definitely do the 7.1 measurements because they will change the immersion in games and movies and bring it to a whole new level. I’ve said it before but the upgrade in sound is like going from a vcd quality video to 4K hdr oled. Makes a big impact. I’m actually looking for a place that is quiet so I can measure as best as possible. Might even go as far to get a hotel room if I have to.
I've been thinking about renting a studio mixing booth for an hour to do measurements in properly treated room. That's probably better option than a hotel room if you have any studios within a reasonable distance.

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #701 of 1,817
This is a very good summary of my experience as well. The sound stage, imaging, tonal balance, overall sound quality, detail and clarity using Impulcifer is by far the best sound I've ever heard in decades of listening. Stunning is an understatement. It's also as if the performers are live in front of me, as there's no perception of speakers at all, just the sound. Truly astonishing. I also don't listen to my speakers anymore, and in fact just sold them! I live in a townhouse, and was actually seriously looking at buying a house so that I could play music any time at any volume without disturbing my neighbors. That necessity totally disappeared when I found Impulcifer. It literally, and dramatically changed my life, and has given me a huge improvement in my appreciation of music. Jaakko deserves all the praise and recognition for the gift he's so generously given us.

"Like there's no speakers at all" is a great way to put it. Doing this whole Impulcifier/BRIR thing really has me wondering about the headphone experience in general. For instance, I've never been able to get something like a distinct phantom center with any headphone. The closest I've ever gotten to that kind of soundstage is with my Ananda, and it's soundstage on it's own still sounds very narrow, shallow, and congested when compared to my LSR305's - with the 305's, I immediately get a very strong phantom center that sets a gloriously wide soundstage and I don't even have to be in a picky spot in relation to the speakers. It's very obvious from my Impulcifer plots that my left and right ears have radically different signatures - so much so that all of the -channel_balance options always sound unnatural and 'wrong', even though the channel balance is technically better.

Great idea about booking a studio session in order to create some BRIR profiles, I'd be curious as to how well those would work when used outside of the studio they are recorded in.

Oddly enough, I got into this whole BRIR/HRTF rabbit hole because I'm a guitarist and have been on a journey to make playing guitar with headphones a pleasant experience. I'm going to try making a BRIR profile using my amp and guitar cabinet to see how close I can get to the feeling of playing the amp without headphones. I suspect it'll work great, though if it works then I have to figure out a decent way to use that amp BRIR with low latency (under 10ms roundtrip is acceptable). I've created a stereo IR of the OOYH Hesuvi presets a couple weeks ago and those worked decently well, so I don't think it'll be any more difficult to do the same with my own personal BRIR. If this works well for playing and monitoring guitar it's going to be a whole 'nother level or life changing for me. Guitar is my greatest passion and being able to replicate an amp-in-the-room experience would be my holy grail. If this works as well as I hope then I'm going to be bringing this up in my usual guitar forum and see if I can get others to try it. I know people who would pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to get a reasonable facsimile of the amp-in-the-room experience on headphones, though I know the hard part would be convincing folks to try it - it IS a bit intimidating to try it out but I also think it's return on investment in both time and money is out of this world.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #702 of 1,817
Another reference from Sound Professionals that might be better suited out of the box, with no soldering skills required, for this thread's application, is the following reference :
https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-EAR-MIC-2
Which is the stereo version of that :
https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-EAR-MIC

The capsule is really, really small (3mm in total including the housing + the wire) and it's easy to DIY it with other types of earplugs / tips so that it sits at least flush with the ear canal's entrance and doesn't protrude, which I think is quite important for this thread's subject.

I'm buying a pair of these tiny things and modding it to fit as much into the earhole as possible. I had CS-10EMs and they didnt sound very good probably because they are sticking way out of the earhole. This obstructs the sound. I think it needs to sit in a way that the pinna can "funnel" the sound into it, because that's the way our ears work.

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #703 of 1,817
I have recorded several HRIRs using the awesome tool and also this method . I'm blown away by how a tiny impulse response waveform can produce these effects. And it only takes about 5 minutes to record it, using either method.

Capture.JPG

This is recorded with the latter method, but it showcases what you can do in 5 min

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #704 of 1,817
I'm buying a pair of these tiny things and modding it to fit as much into the earhole as possible. I had CS-10EMs and they didnt sound very good probably because they are sticking way out of the earhole. This obstructs the sound. I think it needs to sit in a way that the pinna can "funnel" the sound into it, because that's the way our ears work.
Not sure about that. I glued foam earplugs onto the back of my mics and the surface of the mic was not down in my ear canal. My results were very good in terms of the spatial illusion of imaging and the sound in front of me. But ears vary, so YMMV.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #705 of 1,817
Not sure about that. I glued foam earplugs onto the back of my mics and the surface of the mic was not down in my ear canal. My results were very good in terms of the spatial illusion of imaging and the sound in front of me. But ears vary, so YMMV.
My best results so far are are also with the mics glued to foam earplugs and shallow placement, but I've ordered a set of Sound Professional's MS-TFB-2-11849 - Master Series mics since I am curious about their performance and if there's any noticeable improvements with the upgrade.

I already cut the wings off of the lower-end Sound Pro mics that I bought for this project, so I'm going to see about removing the plastic shell housing the mic so I can make it as small as reasonable and do some measurements with a semi-deep insertion (not trying to go to the eardrum, just near the entrance of the ear canal). I feel like I've gotten the best possible mic measurements that I can near the surface of the ear, and while it's a huge upgrade over not using the BRIRs, I also see room for improvements over what I've gotten so far.

A measurement that takes in more of the ear structure could help get that few extra percent that it needs to be nearly 100% in comparison to my speakers. The speaker's advantage right now is still on sharper imaging with a more stable center image.

My measurements right now have good frontal localization but the image isn't consistent across the frequency spectrum. Some parts of songs seemed to be smeared or stretched in the soundstage, making them hard to localize and separate from other elements in the mix. I've tried all of the channel balance options and only the mids option doesn't screw up the sound beyond use for me and I'm not sure what other options they're are for improving imaging with impulcifer. Maybe the reverb management feature? I only tried messing with it briefly and to no success but I'm going to look more into it and figure out how exactly to use it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back