Recording Concerts
Jan 7, 2004 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

indigosax

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for people that use their portable MP3 players to record shows. I am in the market for a player/recorder but a main feature I would like to have is recording. Any thoughts,suggestions, and concerns?

As for the type of music.... All... cept country ( no disrespect.... just not into it)

confused.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Hey there, I'm in KC. Who are you gonna tape. I'm thinking about contacting Eleni mandell to tape the 22nd show at Davies. You interested?

Jan 7, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm not particularly an MP3 guy.... I prefer Minidisc for my portable recording needs.

However, I can recommend that if you are going to get into some serious recording the a pair of Core Sounds microphones will set you in good stead for not a great deal of money. Most Dead-Heads and DAT-Heads will concur with this. IRC they are besed in New York. Search on Google for their website.

Jan 8, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 11
who am I tape'n? I am going to see sigur ros in germany in feb.... would like to tape that sho.. plus all the locak rock shows...and few other before the trip..

Thanks for the suggestions.... MD is enticing... but i want to have alot of music at my fingertips.... while i am backpacking..

Does the iriver have a good line in?

how is playback?

Jan 8, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 11
If no one has mentioned this, Sony has a new line of MD recorders that can record up to 8 hours in SP mode now.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/4270

They use 1GB media and they can upload mic-in recorded content now via USB to your PC. Woohoo!!!

Jan 8, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 11
If you can afford, its a no-brainer to get the NJB3. Only get MD if you can't afford the NJB3, which needs to include the cost of an external mic preamp because the built-in one is horrific. The line in (I assume you mean A/D conversion) is good. The playback quality is excellent as discussed on other threads. Many other benefits for recording. Only downside is its bigger. If you're going to be burning to CDs eventually, then definitely get the NDB3 over MD.

Look on Yahoo group NJB3tapers and at Taperssection.com for information. They're easier to read than DATHeads digests.

Jan 8, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 11
I just bought a nomad myself, its definitely the best thing out there at the moment, unless you can lug a laptop with you.

The iriver model mentioned above has a 795MB limit for wav files, so you would have to restart the recording process everytime you get 80 or so mins of music.

A pro of the nomad is that there is no need to buy a soundcard to transfer your shows, you can go via the usb or firewire port.

As for MD, i used it...and its a bitch to MD flip every 80 mins, i currently own a dat and its great....i get 3 hrs of music on one dat tape and no need to flip the tape.

Also, check out www.taperssection.com , its a great site and the tapers there are very helpful, i'm hanging out there currently after soaking up all the info at dat-heads.

Jan 26, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 11
what about binaural live recordings? it would be great to record some real performance..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back