recording 5.1 sacd audio from my home setup to a portable unit
May 16, 2006 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

comforter1

New Head-Fier
I am interested in recording off my home setup, using either the rca's out the back of the reciever, or the headphone jack, into a line in on a dap. I want to record my sacd & dvd/audio collection. I am looking at the Kanguru 100 gig media x-change unit. Will this work to get the ultra high quality of the previously mentioned sources. My music is all mostly 5.1 dts audio. Apparently, the info sent thru the 5.1 analog connections from the player to the reciever is not sent to the rca/tape out terminals on the reciever. I don't know why, probably to prevent duplication. There is also an optical out of the player I could use to send the info to the reciever. Maybe that would get sent to the rca/tape terminals, which i would then send to the line in on the dap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

May 16, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 5
Using the optical/coaxial (SPDIF) output from the player doesn't give you the high resolution audio from the player. For the SA-CD/ DVD-A high resolution audio you'll need to use the 6 channel analog RCA outputs.Recording from these analog outputs won't give you any better sound quality than Redbook CD.

If you want to copy the audio from non-hybrid SA-CD or DVD-A(not the Dolby Digital or dts audio), you can do this by connecting your players 2 channel output(if it has this) or use the front right and front left outputs.

I use a Pioneer Elite DV-45A player as my source for my headphone rig and I'm able to have two 2 channel outputs since it has a seperate "2 channel" output and the front L & R outputs. I send a stereo signal to 2 headphone amps for easy swapping.

If you use the front R & L outputs make sure that you have the speakers configured for using only these 2 channels. To be safe I'd even set them to large just in case your player has a goofy interface. It should be automatic that the 2 channel output be large without the bass below the x-over being sent to the subwoofer(even though the sub would be turned "off"). Without knowing your players setup procedure and options this is the best advice I can give. I have made the mistake of recording just the front left and right outputs without the center,and surround channels and with the speakers set to small, there was no bass below 80 Hz---very bad.

I've made copies of all of my non-hybrid SA-CD and DVD-A discs this way using a stand alone Denon CD recorder. The results have always been very good.

May 16, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 5
That's what I do---to Play SACD's. It's just about the only time I use a stand alone player rather than my pc.

There is a way to record the streams, but I don't know how to do it. It involves multiple pc's and such. If you want it bad enough and have the skills, do a bit of Google research and you'll find the path. It's just not worth it to me.

May 16, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by comforter1
I am interested in recording off my home setup, using either the rca's out the back of the reciever, or the headphone jack, into a line in on a dap. I want to record my sacd & dvd/audio collection. I am looking at the Kanguru 100 gig media x-change unit. Will this work to get the ultra high quality of the previously mentioned sources. My music is all mostly 5.1 dts audio. Apparently, the info sent thru the 5.1 analog connections from the player to the reciever is not sent to the rca/tape out terminals on the reciever. I don't know why, probably to prevent duplication. There is also an optical out of the player I could use to send the info to the reciever. Maybe that would get sent to the rca/tape terminals, which i would then send to the line in on the dap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, you have an unsolvable dilemna there. You cannot output dts audio through the analog outputs unless your home audio player has a built-in dts decoder. (An exception: Some of Sony's consumer DVD players have built-in dts decoders which do not support dts music discs - they support only dts soundtracks on movies.) Undecoded dts audio can only be output digitally.

On the other hand, hi-res SACD and DVD-Audio (from copy-protected media) can only be output at full resolution at the analog outs. However, most portable players support only 16-bit audio playback at no higher than 48kHz sampling rate. Thus, if you want to convert an SACD or a DVD-Audio to a portable-friendly format, you will have to downconvert the output to no better than CD quality - and that will degrade the sound quality.

May 16, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you for the advice. I understand setting up the output to the front l/r speakers only, so all the info goes to where I can pick it up. I am getting a little lost with the sampling rate issues. If I record from the headphone or line out rca jacks, won't I get the full hi-res?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back