record vinyl via usb, the best way?
May 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

techenvy

500+ Head-Fier
what is the best way totranfer vinyl to you computer via usb.

there is a project phono stage with usb:

http://www.listenup.com/lu/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PHONOBOXIIUSB&Category_Code=50016&Store_Code=l

but i worry the dac in it will suck, just like a built in usb dac on a cheap tt.... so is this built in usb dac on the project phono stage just like one of those cheap dac's on the plastic tables?

whats the best sounding way to transfer vinyl?

thank you for your help, i do appreciate it

May 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 6

Just to be clear, that unit doesn't have a dac in it. A dac is a Digital to Analogue Converter. It has an ADC in it. Anyway my pro-ject phono box is good kit for the price (I think anyway) but i'm sure if you were to spend more you'd get a better result. Do you have a phono stage already? If you don't need one then I'd look up a dedicated AD converter. The specs of that one don't look particularly impressive but you can't really tell unless you listen to it or try it out. It is limited to 48khz and 16-bit.

May 19, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 6
I use a really complicated method - RCA-mini cable connecting my phono stage to my Macbook Pro's line-in. :D Sounds just fine. For more fidelity, though, definitely look into the dedicated ADC as mentioned above. Also as mentioned above - USB audio devices generally cannot go better than 48khz 16-bit so if you want hi-res recordings you'd be better off looking at professional equipment, which can get pricy.

For the $0 investment (and as anything better would be overkill for my old, cheap phono :p), I like my method.

May 24, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:

Just to be clear, that unit doesn't have a dac in it. A dac is a Digital to Analogue Converter. It has an ADC in it. Anyway my pro-ject phono box is good kit for the price (I think anyway) but i'm sure if you were to spend more you'd get a better result. Do you have a phono stage already? If you don't need one then I'd look up a dedicated AD converter. The specs of that one don't look particularly impressive but you can't really tell unless you listen to it or try it out. It is limited to 48khz and 16-bit.

yea i know its adc, just so used to dac, as it is an obsession of mine.  i have a phono stage.  but i have to get a  new preamp so i may upgrade to one with a good phono stage in it, but im  somewhat new to pre amps, i have an old dynakit tube preamp that is great but the left channel is weird and it could sound so much better.    its been very difficult to find one with everything i  need.
 any suggestion for a good standalone adc that isn't overkill?  or a good preamp
      wouldn't a  phono stage with a built in adc, theoretically have a quieter signal? then a standalone adc?   thanks 

Quote:
I use a really complicated method - RCA-mini cable connecting my phono stage to my Macbook Pro's line-in. :D Sounds just fine. For more fidelity, though, definitely look into the dedicated ADC as mentioned above. Also as mentioned above - USB audio devices generally cannot go better than 48khz 16-bit so if you want hi-res recordings you'd be better off looking at professional equipment, which can get pricy.

For the $0 investment (and as anything better would be overkill for my old, cheap phono :p), I like my method.

cool, i never even thought about that, what program do you use? i have a mic input on my sony vaio might work,,,.  i have heard some good adc trasfers that sounded shockingly good. but i dont know if they were 96/24 tranfers or 192, or what the standard is?    basically i want to hear the needle as i am addicted to its sound,,, i probably listen  more on vinyl  than my massive archive of digital.  but i  haven't really hunted for  high res vinyl rips  which sounds like a good idea.   any good standalone adc or pre amp recs?
thanks

May 25, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
USB audio devices generally cannot go better than 48khz 16-bit

This is incorrect.

Although it is an easy mistake to make.

Historically consumer level USB 1.1 devices struggled with anything more than stereo in and out and 2 channel S/PDIF in and out at resolutions greater than CD quality. Class compliancy supports 16-bit/48kHz 2 x 4 operation and with proprietary drivers you could get stereo in and out at up to 96/24. That is why prosumer multi channel devices tended to use Firewire - Firewire never caught on for audiophile usage because it is more expensive to implement and provides oversophisticated facilities.

In the last couple of years however USB 2.0 devices have come onto the market. These will easily handle multiple channels at up to 192/24 operation in analogue and 96/24 via S/PDIF simultaneously. In fact the RME Fireface 400 UL gives better technical figures then the Firewire equivalent.

E-MU 0202 or equivalent would suit you very well for under £100. The ESI DuaFire is an interesting device as it offers standard 2 in 4 out (useful for cueing) and it also contains a phono pre amp built in. Still under £100

May 25, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi!

Product pages:
http://www.terratec.net/en/pro....._2064.html

If someone interested, here are some additional info for this product.

Inside the box (camera: Nokia N95):

A/D Converter: Cirrus Logic CS5341
Op-Amps: JRC NJM4580 and Natioonal Semiconductors LM833

I have not found information over input impedance. Maybe it's 47kohm as it's on Terratec's other audio devices capable for RIAA EQ.

Sound example 1 (Robben Ford) - 24-bit/96kHz (Terratec) (~34MB)
Sound example 2 (Dire Straits) - 24-bit/96kHz (Terratec) ... 24-bit/96kHz (Pro-Ject+E-MU) (both ~34MB)

Equipment: Technics SL-Q2 + Technics EPC 205 CMK3
72dB/oct HP @ 27 Hz so, don't wonder if something missing below that frequency..

A bit bright sound is maybe partly because of new stylus.

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back