Record stores & headphones
Apr 28, 2006 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sami

New Head-Fier
I just came from buying some cd's but in the record store this thought started to bother me. I never really paid attention to their headphones but as I took a closer look they were some neverheard black big things and the music sounded absolutely boring and lifeless.

I almost started to lecture the shopkeeper about how he'd sell millions of records by getting some grados
evil_smiley.gif

Is the situtation this bad everywhere?.

Apr 28, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 7
Having said that, most people's gear is 100% worse than even the boring stuff on displays in the record shop. And Grado's are just going to get wrecked by the average careless record-shop public.

People just don't care about sound that much, and although the record shop owner will get appreciative noises from audiophiles, audiophiles buy cd's anyway. A good idea, but economically not that sound.

Having said that, wearing good 'phones to a record store gets you great service, especially big 'phones. This is because record store owners see a person who is INTO his music, and will do anything not to lose your business!

Stew

Apr 28, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sami
I just came from buying some cd's but in the record store this thought started to bother me. I never really paid attention to their headphones but as I took a closer look they were some neverheard black big things and the music sounded absolutely boring and lifeless.

I almost started to lecture the shopkeeper about how he'd sell millions of records by getting some grados
evil_smiley.gif

If in Helsinki, you should shop at Digelius (classical, world, jazz) or Popparienkeli (pop & rock). If I remember correctly, both of them use Beyerdynamic DT-770s for this purpose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 7
No one wants to suffer itchy ears at the record store, so Grados would probably drive customers away
evil_smiley.gif
Better to get something with soft circumaural cushions.

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sami

evil_smiley.gif

At most CD shops around here, there are several sets of players and headphones lying around. How long would >$20 cans last in the store?

I would guess maybe 4 hours at most.

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
Having said that, most people's gear is 100% worse than even the boring stuff on displays in the record shop. And Grado's are just going to get wrecked by the average careless record-shop public.

People just don't care about sound that much, and although the record shop owner will get appreciative noises from audiophiles, audiophiles buy cd's anyway. A good idea, but economically not that sound.

Having said that, wearing good 'phones to a record store gets you great service, especially big 'phones. This is because record store owners see a person who is INTO his music, and will do anything not to lose your business!

Stew

Once, my friend and I were discussing how unrealiable listening to CDs are in major record stores (HMV, Tower Records) are. I was talking about how warped the sound signatures are with the headphone they use. At the same time, my friend was lamenting how good the sound signature are, so he always get dissapointed after he buy it.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back