Record-player static?
Jun 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FLCL

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, long time lurker, never really posted. Anyway, i've been looking for a decent record-player and found one on ebay that I'd be willing to get but in the description the seller states that when he hooked it up the player to his speakers he didn't get very high volume without getting constant static in the background. Says it isnt their speakers as it only happens with the player. Anyone know if this indicates a malfunction in the player or if it could potentially be his cord or speakers or even the vinyl used? Thanks

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
Hey guys, long time lurker, never really posted. Anyway, i've been looking for a decent record-player and found one on ebay that I'd be willing to get but in the description the seller states that when he hooked it up the player to his speakers he didn't get very high volume without getting constant static in the background. Says it isnt their speakers as it only happens with the player. Anyone know if this indicates a malfunction in the player or if it could potentially be his cord or speakers or even the vinyl used? Thanks

Could be almost anything. Could be (but unlikely) using an amp without a phono stage, could be a faulty phono stage, could be a duff cartridge, could be bad phono leads from the cartridge, could be improperly earthed. My advice is avoid unless you can either get it for next to nothing or get much more information...you are talking about a turntable without built-in amplifier ?

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 3
Alright, so basically a no go on it. And im really not sure, it's a Technics SL-Q3, but I dont know very much about record players, i had just come across this one whilst searching for them and read it was a decent model from a good era. 

Though..it is only at 99 cents usd right now lol. I doubt it would even be sold unless the guy got something from it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back