Record Player Help
Feb 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

threedeenut

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum and i was hoping for a little help. (this forum found me to a nice set of grado labs 325is's and i love them) I am currently in the market for a decent turntable (prefferably with usb support). I dont hav the money for a "audiophile" turntable but really want to get my vinyl onto my computer and yet not sacrifice too much quality in my turntable. Anyhow, here is where my research has found me in my price range. I know denon, I have owned (and still do) their products and have always had good luck with them. Ion seems feature rich but seems like a chincy brand. Audio technicas offering sounds great but i only use their microphones and know little else about them. Also their offering is a bit high for my budget but could save and stretch.

DENON - DP-200 USB Turntalbe
Ion - LP 2 Flash Turntable with Direct-to-SD Card Recording
Audio-Technica - PL120 USB Turntable

My current stereo ... it is asembled from lots and lots of patience and good buys on ebay/craigs list... im poor but have the tastes of a rich man!

I have a denon avr-787 receiver, a mixture of sony (primary fronts and surrounds) and boston acoustic speakers (secondary fronts, center channel, and rears) and a home built sub-woofer (1980's 15" Orion XTR amped from a bass guitar amp and a home built cabinet / chess table) that has enough depth to play sounds ive never heard from any speaker ever... and bounce the pieces all over the place if the volume is even remotely loud.

Overall the sound is great considering what i spent... about 600$

I do have an old turntable (if i were home right now i'd list it but it was a hand me down... its nice enough but i cant bring my music with me...)

Anyhow, so, what should i do about the usb turntable... denon, audio technica, ion, or something else.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 3
Generally USB turntables aren't very good; just get a decent analog turntable (I'm not an expert in selecting turntables, so I'll leave that to someone else to recommend one), and rip it to your computer. If your onboard soundcard isn't great, you may also consider getting an upgrade before ripping your vinyl (make sure you get one with good inputs).

This guide does a good job at explaining what you should do, IMO:
The Lance J. Technoweb: Ripping Vinyl LP Records

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 3
Hrm, then maybe ill just get a good cartridge for my current record player. It's a BSR 810 TRANSCRIPTION, i finally figured it out after wasting half a day here at work. lolz. Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I was hoping for something a bit simpler, but since money is tight and I could use the mone elsewhere, maybe a decent cartridge and a touch of time will do the trick in getting my music onto cd's. I just got the tom waits orphans record collection as a gift so im dying to hear it the best I can... Nice nedle and my grados should do the trick i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back