Record player for under £150?
Feb 22, 2012 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Headphonefred

Head-Fier
Is there such thing as a good quality record player for under £150? I have no experiance in record players as i so far only listen to my ipod and a home stereo system. If it makes any difference i listen to a lot ofjazz, and some rock such as Pink Floyd and the like. Contributions much appreciated. Thanks, Fred

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 9
Some nice vintage tales can easily found for that price. I have a PL518 and they go around that price fairly regularly. 

The ProJect Essential is a bit over budget, but a good option if you want to buy new. 

Quote:
Is there such thing as a good quality record player for under £150? I have no experiance in record players as i so far only listen to my ipod and a home stereo system. If it makes any difference i listen to a lot ofjazz, and some rock such as Pink Floyd and the like. Contributions much appreciated. Thanks, Fred

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 9
I see these everywhere and I wonder if they're any good. It seems they're used for just transferring vinyl to digital.

I would also recommend looking at thrift stores and the like, since you might find a gem that someone thought was just an old piece of junk. If I may ask, why do you want one? Do you have any vinyl?

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I see these everywhere and I wonder if they're any good. It seems they're used for just transferring vinyl to digital.

I would also recommend looking at thrift stores and the like, since you might find a gem that someone thought was just an old piece of junk. If I may ask, why do you want one? Do you have any vinyl?

People have told me that record players have much better sound quality than other electronic devices. Thanks for your help, but what are Thrift stores?

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
People have told me that record players have much better sound quality than other electronic devices. Thanks for your help, but what are Thrift stores?

I'm not sure what you would call them, but in the states, thrift stores are just places that take donated items and sell them. So, rather than throwing something away you may donate it to a thrift store, and they often get old stereo equipment donated to them.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 9
Maybe they'd be called second hand shops? That's usually how I reffer to them when talking to people over seas.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you would call them, but in the states, thrift stores are just places that take donated items and sell them. So, rather than throwing something away you may donate it to a thrift store, and they often get old stereo equipment donated to them.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:

Think Oxfam or Salvation Army shops (where I got all my suits)  , as for sound quality that is somewhat a matter of opinion !

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 9
I don't think mastering quality is a matter of opinion though. Chances are if it's vinyl (especially older releases) you're getting the best master that way. That's not always true, of course, but as a general rule it seems to be.

One thing to think about before you really invest in a vinyl system is the fact it takes a lot more work than CDs or a PC based system. You need a way to clean the records, clean the needle, and TTs are also much more prone to additional unwanted noise from vibrations. All things to consider.

EDIT: Also consider a Phono stage in your budget if you need one.

Quote:
Think Oxfam or Salvation Army shops (where I got all my suits)  , as for sound quality that is somewhat a matter of opinion !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back