Record of the Year?
Nov 30, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #46 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
For me dissapointments:

Interpol-Antics -this was more of the same with the exception of slow hand which was a great song.

Yes!

280smile.gif

Nov 30, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #47 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoilax
This year has been a great year for the more post punk genre of rock.

But i'm going to have to go with The Futureheads - The Futureheads or Bloc Party - Bloc Party (EP).

Both are just crap yon pants amazing.
smily_headphones1.gif

In rap though... it was less than spectacular...

So i'm going to give it to either Masta Ace - A long hot summer
or
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free

Shindig?

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #48 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by djgustashaw
I got tired of Franz Ferdinand pretty quick.

Yeah--me too. I couldn't stop listening to it for about a week, and now I have no desire to hear it again. It may be one of those albums I "rediscover" in a couple of years though.

Dec 1, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #49 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade
Yeah--me too. I couldn't stop listening to it for about a week, and now I have no desire to hear it again. It may be one of those albums I "rediscover" in a couple of years though.

That sums it up for me as well. I suspect it will be like the Go Go's first album. Played it to death when it was new, got sick of it and now it goes back in to my music rotation for a few weeks every once and a while until I get sick of it and put it away again.

Much as I love the Ramones in general their first album is that way too. I pull it out and dust it off and think "man what a great band" and two weeks later its "man do they know more than two chords or another tempo"
k1000smile.gif

The futureheads and U2 are edging there way up my list BTW

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #51 of 100
O_92773_200.gif

Jill Scott - Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds 2

and in no particular order:

Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood
Tom Waits - Real Gone
Feist - Let It Die
Rammstein - Reise, Reise
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Gotan Project - Inspiracion-Espiracion (Re)mix
Jazzanova - ...Mixing
Thievery Corporation - The Outernational Sound
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Lyre Of Orpheus
Depeche Mode - Remixes 81-04

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #52 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
Obviously musical tastes are different. I stand by Wilco as the best new album this year. I respect it for not being what it could have been; YFH part two. It was a change and it will be interesting to see where Tweedy and company go next. Rap or Disco maybe?
biggrin.gif

I don't dislike Wilco but I think the greater talent in Uncle Tupelo wasn't Jeff Tweedy. His stuff is good...but Farrar's stuff was better and still is. Sun Volt's Trace album should be the next album on any Wilco fan's list....

Dec 19, 2004 at 10:35 AM Post #53 of 100
Jens Lekman - When I Said I Wanted To Be Your Dog

No question about it, this album and the 3 EP's leading up to its release pretty much kept a permanent spot, all year round, on my ever changing list of listening material. Just a great collection of songs coming from a debut artist... Mission accomplished Mr. Lekman, I want more.

Honorable mention:
Rhythm Of Blacklines - Human Hand, Animal Band
Ted Leo - Shake The Sheets (note: he''s really starting to spoil us, continually releasing these badass records..yep, I said badass)

Dec 25, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #55 of 100
I would say that Modest Mouse - "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" is at this point my nomination for "Record Of The Year." Other contenders for me would be U2 - "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb," [eventhough I am a major U2 fan, and despite hype to the contrary, I am somewhat disappointed with this album...I was more seriously disappointed with "The Cure" and wouldn't even put it in my "Top 10" for the year...] The Roots - "The Tipping Point," and Eric Clapton - "Sessions for Robert J." I just bought and need to listen to Arcade Fire - "Funeral," and Secret Machines - "Now This Is Nowhere." [because of recommendations in this thread...] Overall I have to say that I don't think that we have had an excellent year for music in awhile. A lot of good stuff, but not much that I would call great...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 26, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #56 of 100
1 - Arcade Fire - Funeral
2 - Wilco - AGIB
3 - Pinback - Summer in Abbadon

A lot of people saw AGIB as a disappointment, but that's only natural. Realistically, what else could the follow up to YHF be? They did a great job of putting out a fascinating, unique album in the shadow of their magnum opus.

Funeral was an obvious pick for me.

Pinback made my list as well due to the obscene amount of play time that CD has received from me this year. And it's still good.

Dec 26, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #57 of 100
Within its genre, "Bubblegum" by Mark Lanegan.

Dec 26, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #59 of 100
Beta Band- Heroes to Zeros
Zutons- Who Killed the Zutons
Modest Mouse -Good News for People Who Like Bad News
Kasabien- Kasabien

Biggest dissapointment, by far was Perfect Circle's-Emotive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back