Recommending headphones for those who don't want to use amps
Jul 26, 2016 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kerry56

500+ Head-Fier
If someone is NOT going to use a headphone amp, or an add on sound card in their pc, how high up the chain of headphone quality can they go and still improve their listening experience?  This also applies to those using mp3 players, or phones or tablets.  Let's assume the recordings themselves are average cd quality.

I know quite a number of sub $60 headphones will do nicely with this type of setup.  I own three right now, and if you increase the ceiling on price to $150, I've heard quite a few more that work well, and a few that don't. 

What would be your recommendation for great sound, however you want to define that, with these two restraints?  $150 hard price ceiling and no amp.

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 10
If someone is NOT going to use a headphone amp, or an add on sound card in their pc, how high up the chain of headphone quality can they go and still improve their listening experience?  This also applies to those using mp3 players, or phones or tablets.  Let's assume the recordings themselves are average cd quality.

I know quite a number of sub $60 headphones will do nicely with this type of setup.  I own three right now, and if you increase the ceiling on price to $150, I've heard quite a few more that work well, and a few that don't. 

What would be your recommendation for great sound, however you want to define that, with these two restraints?  $150 hard price ceiling and no amp.

Well I don't think anyone else would define these as "great" but the beats studio 2.0 hits that price ceiling and sounds really good to me. Is it cheating if they have a built in amp? XD

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Well, looks like you already have the Philips SHP9500, which is one of my favorites in your price range. (Try out this modification to take its sound further.) I compared that headphone from a Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 stack and my laptop's headphone outputs and did not hear a difference, at least at lower/normal volume. It depends on the internal amp of your source, though.

If you can get your hands on a used Yamaha HPH-MT220, that would be the absolute best, in my opinion.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Wait were you wanting reccomendations? If so they it would be best if we knew your sound preferences as well as your musical interests.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Wait were you wanting reccomendations? If so they it would be best if we knew your sound preferences as well as your musical interests.

No, just thought I'd start a discussion.  Quite a lot of the threads in here deal with higher end setups, so for those without those lofty aspirations, it might be nice to find some alternatives.

Well, looks like you already have the Philips SHP9500, which is one of my favorites in your price range. (Try out this modification to take its sound further.) I compared that headphone from a Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 stack and my laptop's headphone outputs and did not hear a difference, at least at lower/normal volume. It depends on the internal amp of your source, though.

If you can get your hands on a used Yamaha HPH-MT220, that would be the absolute best, in my opinion.

I prefer my CAL! over the Philips.  Different sound signature.  I don't think I've heard of that Yamaha however, and their new price puts them way out of the price range.  Used...maybe someone would go that low.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 10
So... Would a built in amp be cheating? What about IEMs?
This is really a thread worth having for me at least.

A built in amp would not be cheating, no.  I'd consider it part of the headphone.  IEM's are outside my interest and experience however.

Anyway, I would think there would eventually be a cut off point, where the limitations of the player/equipment would handicap a higher end headphone.  But maybe there are some that can deal with this easily.  I don't know.  Which is why I'm asking.

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 10
  Anyway, I would think there would eventually be a cut off point, where the limitations of the player/equipment would handicap a higher end headphone.  But maybe there are some that can deal with this easily.  I don't know.  Which is why I'm asking.

There are plenty of headphones (including ones over $1,000) that have high enough sensitivity (and lower impedance) to be driven from DAPs and computers. To get a better understanding of which ones would be suitable for such use, look at the sensitivity and impedance specs for headphones, then calculate their power requirements here:

http://apexhifi.com/specs.html

Once you know how much output power you need at a given input impedance to reach your desired SPL level (adding some extra for dynamic peaks in the music), you can check whether a given device has enough power to suit your needs. If you really want to get into it, you can measure a headphone's loudness with an SPL meter.

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 10
I think the limiting factor would be forgiveness or impedance. Eventually the headphone would get good enough that low quality audio files would impede its performance it I don't see that happening in $150. Then you have to take into account what the highest impedance you can drive and still get adequate volume.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 10

You might be able to get a Soundmagic HP200 headphone (new or used), with in your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back