Recommended Win 7 Flac player for a non geek?
Dec 18, 2011 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hal55

Head-Fier
In the next few days a Musical Fidelity V-Link is going to land on my doorstep and the Lenovo laptop I use will start to double as a music server. Finally making the transition to a PC based music setup. I am not the least bit PC or software knowledgeable so an easy to install and use solution is a must. I have previuosly used Foobar on another computer, don't mind it, but if there is another program with better SQ I'll use it, partcularly if it has better SQ on volume adjustment rom the PC (volume control from my sitting position would be a big plus).
The new Flac players I see mentioned in the hifi press all seem to be Mac based, so is Foobar still my best option or can it be bettered?

Thanks,

Hal55

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 8
I personally use Foobar2000 and it's pretty easy to use.

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Try the website Codecguide, I like using their Media player classic, but they have other players too.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 8
Being that you are suing a PC, there is not contest, the best player in my opinion that is easy to use and player virtually all audio formats is Media Monkey.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 8
Most music player software can pass through bit-perfect audio, so there's no difference in sound quality.  Do you use your player's volume control or the system volume control?  Either way, you're losing some resolution there, but it's not like one player will do a better job of that than another.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 8
In my opinion a good media player allows you to select drivers like WASAPI, ASIO for a straight connection with the audio device bypassing the Win mixer.
Foobar, JRiver, MusicBee allows for it.

My personal preference:
dbPoweramp for ripping and format conversion. Fast, good meta data, AccurateRip support
JRiver for playback. A flexible interface and good sound quality

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 8
My intention is to use the players own volume control, hopefully the player will disable or at least over ride the Windows one. Just to see what happens I'd like to connect the DAC directly to the power amp and see if removing the preamp from the setup improves SQ.. It might work, it might not. Be fun to try anyway.
HiFi World is doing a feature on PC players, it was quoted in the current issue as being "in development" so it may be on the stands in a few months and will be an interesting read.

Hal55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back