Recommended Turntable, Cartridge & Preamp for $400-500?
Jun 3, 2006 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DickxLaurent

New Head-Fier
A friend of mine is looking for a new analog setup. He's looking to spend $400-500. I think he will want new components if possible, unless maybe some great used deals exist. Please recommend some of the best options. Is the Debut III rated well for its price?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Wow, I think we should compile a few threads into an post for a sticky, or somebody / some people should group together and find some resolutions as to what is the best turntable, cartaridge and pre-amp for certian price ranges, as a good guide. A lot of these threads have been popping up, including mine.

Sorry to interupt your thread btw.

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 6
there is a Linn Axis with akito arm that looks pretty good, several music hall mmf 5s, a rega 3... I have a strong slant towards belt driven decks but there are others who really like the Direct decks

you may be able to find a linn lp12 that is fairly old and without the power suplly upgrades for about 600-700 there is one at a shop in my area that is really clean with a rega 300b arm that will really sing
http://lettherebesound.com/page11/page11.html
you will need a cart to go with it you can find the dyna vector 20xh used for 250-300 this will save you money if you have a pre amp with a phono stage built in as it is a high output moving coil cart that outperforms its cost
also I have a CJwalker that I bought off a headfi guy here that is a great deck if you can find one of them used.

going that route IMHO is far cheaper than going new inexpensive

I've been through 3 different tables, 3 arms, 4 carts and two phono stages in the past year and thankfully I think I am where I'll be satisfied (for now)
I now have two extra turntables an arm or two 2 carts...

here are a few other sites to search for ideas

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/index.php

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DickxLaurent
A friend of mine is looking for a new analog setup. He's looking to spend $400-500. I think he will want new components if possible, unless maybe some great used deals exist. Please recommend some of the best options. Is the Debut III rated well for its price?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

For that kind of money you can pick up a new Technics 1200/1210 for around $399 and install an Audio Technica AT-120E cartridge for another $60.You can get the cartridge at Garage A Records.I like this cartridge much better than the Shure M97xE but it will take about 50 hours to completly smooth out.This turntable is very easy to set-up.This system sounds way better than my Thorens TD-160 and does some things better than my SACDmods Denon 2900.I think the tonearms on the newer 1200s are really better than people give them credit for and thay can also be replaced with more expensive tonearms down the road if you desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back