Recommended settings for Asus Xonar DG?
Jul 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kingof2v1

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a competitive FPS gamer, and I just installed my first sound card, the Asus Xonar DG.  I've got them paired with Samson SR850's. Can anyone give me some recommended settings as a baseline? I just want to make sure this is not misconfigured as I bought it to help with positional audio and footsteps.

My current settings:

Audio Channels: 6
Sample Rate: 96 KHz
Analog Out: Headphone
Dolby Heaphone on DH-1
"DSP Mode" has GX enabled, Hi-Fi (HF) disabled.
Voice EX and Local Voice EX are both unchecked.

On my on-board speaker configuration for the Sonar DG its set for 5.1 Surround with Center, Subwoofer, and Side pair checked.  Also, Front left and right & Surround speakers are checked.

I greatly appreciate any help

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hi, I'm a competitive FPS gamer, and I just installed my first sound card, the Asus Xonar DG.  I've got them paired with Samson SR850's.
Dolby Heaphone on DH-1
On my on-board speaker configuration for the Sonar DG its set for 5.1 Surround 

What is the gain set to, I would say to try the middle gain setting "32 to 64-Ohm" for the SR850s, might sound better then the <32-Ohm gain setting.

on-board speaker configuration?
Hopefully you have "disabled" on-board audio, in the BIOS.

GX mode is optional, which ever works better (enabled or disabled).

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 6
Hello. Im playing cs:go and here is my setup with the Asus Xonar DG and Sennheiser PC350 Se:

8 Channels
PCM 44 Khz ( cs:go is using this sample rate, and you are better to use the native Sample Rate )
Headphone Exiter Mode ( As the Headphone is 150 Ohms )
PCM
Dolby Headphone

No 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter
No DSP mode

cs:go sound positionning suck comparing cs 1.6 :frowning2: If you play cs:go, there is some config setup to do in the cs:go config to enhance the sound positionning.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 6
  Hi, I'm a competitive FPS gamer, and I just installed my first sound card, the Asus Xonar DG.  I've got them paired with Samson SR850's. Can anyone give me some recommended settings as a baseline? I just want to make sure this is not misconfigured as I bought it to help with positional audio and footsteps.

My current settings:

Dolby Heaphone on DH-1

On my on-board speaker configuration for the Sonar DG its set for 5.1 Surround with Center, Subwoofer, and Side pair checked.  Also, Front left and right & Surround speakers are checked.

I greatly appreciate any help

Your settings are basically correct. I don't use gx mode cause it can cause problems in some circumstances, and it always adds latency, but it is actually really nice for old games that were made for windows xp's audio model. I'll add that you should make sure your default format has 24 bit depth, in control panel>audio>properties>advanced. Also, try to use the lowest gain that is loud enough for you. Resampling can be good for cheap dacs, since they tend to perform better at certain sampling frequencies. Try to resample only once, there is also software resampling option with the default format, so make that match whatever you choose for hardware resampling or the sampling rate of the media.

And make sure your games are all set to 5.1 if given the option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back