Recommended output transformers?
Mar 31, 2010 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
After doing some reading, it seems that using output transformers is a good way to provide some extra current for low impedance headphones.

Is there a certain output transformer that's good for single ended amplifiers, and cost effective?

I would be using this for the millett SS, and maybe other amps in the future. Multiple, switchable windings would be nice, though not necessary. If I am completely off base for wanting this, I apologize!

Nate

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 6
The hybrid amps already have very low output impedances and can provide lots of output current (will it drive an efficient speaker... indeed). Its not necessary for any of the commonly built hybrids.

OTOH, Transformers work quite nicely on tube OTL gear. What to get depends on what you have and what you want to do, but there are quite a few transformers that would work well for this.
Small toroidal power transformers work nicely, there are a few off the shelf products at any number of price points, and you can always get something custom wound.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 6
The only amp I have at the moment is my millett SS (and another SS in the works, with many more features).

Do you think the millett SS has a low enough impedance to drive Grados to most of their potential? Would an output transformer provide any benefit at all? If it could provide a benefit, I would really like to try.

Thanks for your reply by the way. I don't expect members to do all research and part selection for me, but it's nice to know that I'm on the right track.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 6
I doubt that an OPT would improve the starving student.

Output impedance is given as about 3ohms on Pete Millet's web page. Output power into 32ohms is frighteningly high too.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 6
Mr. Punnisher (...nice name!) I don't know too much about Pete Millett's amp, but as a general comment please note that just adding a transformer to the output of a normal (pre-designed) solid state output stage is unlikely to help you.

Firstly if it steps up the voltage it will also step up the output impedance by the square of the turns ratio. Secondly, you also have to consider the DC resistance of the windings which also pushes up the output impedance.

Sticking with the standard design; if the amp is running within it's design parameters then the current delivered to the load will be determined by the load, not by the amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back