Recommended me some cirum-aural (around ear) portable headphones please.
Nov 11, 2008 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ShootingStars

100+ Head-Fier
I can't stand supra-aural (on-ear).
The Audio Technica M50 looks so BULKY to be portable.
Possible choice are the Audio Technica ES7s... I heard they are supra aural but some say they are circum aural...
No Sennheisers please, the HD280 is JUST HIDEOUS IMHO... besides I already have the CX500 and the HD201 (ugly but good, so I use at home).
I am looking for balance of design and sound quality... a dealer in Mississauga, where I live, can order an AKG or Audio Technica headphone if they don't stock it, so please recommended me only those names...
Also if you know any other headphone that suits my needs... and CAN be purchased locally in Mississauga for a maximum of $200 please recommended. Thank you, I appreciate if anyone can help me. The headphone has GOT to be COMFORTABLE, thanks.

If this helps I listen to slow vocals/instrumentals mainly.

So far possibilities are...
ATH-ES7 (169.99 CAN) (Not a possibility they are supra-aural as I found out.)
ATH-SQ5 (159.99 CAN)

I absolutely cannot buy online or outside Mississauga.

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 14
I think es7 is still supra, since it's at the same style with esw9.

I don't think HD201 is ugly tho. In fact, hd201 is pretty good looking... ATH SQ5 is worse.

Well, Utada Hikaru wears ATH SQ5 on her MV - Heart Station, but still I don't like the design.

So I'm not sure, if you can deal with supra, ES7 is definitely the most gorgeous looking headphone between em all, otherwise, I'll stay with HD201 for in and outside.

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buranko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think es7 is still supra, since it's at the same style with esw9.

I don't think HD201 is ugly tho. In fact, hd201 is pretty good looking... ATH SQ5 is worse.

Well, Utada Hikaru wears ATH SQ5 on her MV - Heart Station, but still I don't like the design.

So I'm not sure, if you can deal with supra, ES7 is definitely the most gorgeous looking headphone between em all, otherwise, I'll stay with HD201 for in and outside.

Thanks for your input but I DO think SQ5 and ES7 looks good TO ME... HD201... not really. But thanks for your input. I am wondering what to get... an AKG, an Audio Technica, or the A.T. ones I have mentioned. I am looking for good instrumental and vocal sound if you are interested in knowing.
EDIT: So the ES7 are supra-aural... guess that's off the list.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 14
The ES7s might be circum for lots of people. They say the D1001s are supra, but lots of us wear them circum. Depends on ear size.

What do you mean by portable? To wear outdoors? Or easily packed?

Edit: And yes, the 201s are hideous.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 14
ES7s are supraural. Portable and circumaural don't really mix but I used a Ultrasone Hfi780 as a portable for a while. It's circumaural and also folds up compactly so is kind of portable. Sounds pretty good as well but with the obvious ultrasone colouration

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 14
I was actually on the same boat with you, deciding the best option for home and portable use, with COMFORT as its priority, followed by SQ and Design.

From the written specs, there are plenty factors that made me cut them off from my list:
- Cable length
- the ear pad
- supra aural (big no no)
- dependability with Amps
- demanding VERY ULTRA SUPER high quality of audio files and source
- Open design.

The one that I can wear like 16 hours straight without pain is MDR V6 with beyer pads with small mod on the back ear cups using tissue (totally painless), but the problems are:
1. too loose in grabbing my head.
2. Coiled cable, bit annoying for portable unless I round it up on my neck using my mini mp3 player like necklace.

I purchased Denon 1001 which is "famous" of its comfort as well, and it has 1.5m (4 feet) cable, which is good for portable, and the quality should be at the same level with V6. And the design is ... okay, not too fashionable but not ugly (for me).

I probably get this on my hand by this or next week so I can't tell atm.

The other Comfort winner is ATH-A/AD700 - 900, but they just so huge, and long cable.

I don't like AKG design.

But that's only my preference. Judge from your POV, I think SQ5 is good then. It looks pretty big enough for most of the ear, even I'm not really sure lol.

http://furuanimepanikku.com/wp-conte.../CIMG5535_.jpg

Utada <3
utada_hikaru_sq5.jpg

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES7s might be circum for lots of people. They say the D1001s are supra, but lots of us wear them circum. Depends on ear size.

What do you mean by portable? To wear outdoors? Or easily packed?

Edit: And yes, the 201s are hideous.

Portable as in wearing outdoors.
I searched up on the Denon 1001, and I hate the design... its OK but not too ugly like you say, I would be dissatisfied if I bought it. Thanks though. Indeed the ATH A700-900 is mega huge... home use only.
I read the review on the SQ5 here: http://www.furuanimepanikku.com/2008...eview-ath-sq5/

So I am leaning towards some SQ5 if I can contact the dealer near me if they can get them white. But I am still open to recommendations. Ultrasone's are a no because I tried looking for them in Mississauga already.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portable as in wearing outdoors.
I searched up on the Denon 1001, and I hate the design... its OK but not too ugly like you say, I would be dissatisfied if I bought it. Thanks though. Indeed the ATH A700-900 is mega huge... home use only.
I read the review on the SQ5 here: Headphones Review : ATH-SQ5 | Furu Anime Panikku

So I am leaning towards some SQ5 if I can contact the dealer near me if they can get them white. But I am still open to recommendations. Ultrasone's are a no because I tried looking for them in Mississauga already.

You know what... I start liking this SQ5 after browsing around...
I found other thread about SQ5 in this forum minutes ago, someone wrote the diameter of the ear hole is 2.5 inches and 1.25 inches, that's pretty much circum. And the depth (from the photos) is quite deep.

God must had me damn... now i want to buy a pair too.

Btw, why don't you try to buy from ebay? ship from hongkong 78$ + 5$ s/h
Not just SQ5, but for all other headphones, since they're absolutely got better deal than dealer.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 14
haha those sq5s look so enticing... =D
as I said, I can't buy online, which is such a waste of my money...
(personally it is because i need to buy behind my parent's back. they think $1 earphones/headphones is same quality as the stuff i want to buy >>) i am only 16 now, meh.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

(personally it is because i need to buy behind my parent's back. they think $1 earphones/headphones is same quality as the stuff i want to buy >>) i am only 16 now, meh.

send it to your friend's house or to your school?
if it's about credit card, come to your friend who has it, pay him cash and tell him to buy it for you D: hahaha.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buranko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
send it to your friend's house or to your school?
if it's about credit card, come to your friend who has it, pay him cash and tell him to buy it for you D: hahaha.

you can send things to the school? i don't think I can do that here... will probably visit the principal. currently I AM looking for a friend with a CC who will do it but so far no luck. if I cannot find I will have to use cash and pay more.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 14
Well, probably ask help from older people like your friend's parent or else, honestly explain how you want to make a "secret purchase" from your parents , since it's your own saving money.

If by some fortune they thought you were cute for being honest, they'll probably help you.

Nuff talking about headphones smuggling project.

Back to SQ5 VS others.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

lol, that sounds exactly like me. 16, buying headphones behind my parents back. thankfully, i have a friend with a paypal account. so far ive blown 260+ USD. I have similar problems with finding good portable circumaural headphones. whenever you get yours, could you post a mini-review?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back