Recommended Listening
Nov 16, 2004 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Dave Clements

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

So much pours out on these pages relating to particular models, after market cables etc etc. All very interesting, but I haven't seen much relating to specifically what to listen to. Here's a thought for you all to digest.
Many of the more mature readers (no offense, youngsters) all remember buying vinyl copies of The Beatles and enjoying every moment, even though the 'fi' may have not been so 'hi' in those days.
I recently borrowed a CD version of the Beatles White album and played it through a system that I believe to be as good as I need - AVI CD player, AVI Integrated amplifier (tape loop), chord interconnects, Graham Slee Solo headphone amplifier and Sennheiser HD650 (sorry, stock cable). Incidentally, the AVI kit is British, and very highly regarded in solid state circles.
For a dated album, the quality is quite remarkable, and I heard a plethora of musical snippets that I don't remember hearing when I originally played the album all those years ago. The experience was totally satisfying and quite musically rewarding. I appreciate that it is impossible to quantify any perceived differences as the passage of time takes its toll on the gray matter, but most people are able to carry a musical memory from their teens.
I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and can recommend any suitably 'famous' listening material from yesteryear ?

Regards to you all

Nov 16, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 2
my favorite things by john coltrane does it for me. anyway, this probably belongs in music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back