Recommended instrumental guitar/rock/metal album
Aug 3, 2008 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

natim9

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to find more good instrumental albums/artist (not many of them out there)
anyway, here's the list of artist I'm familiar so far , any suggestion much appreciated:

Joe stump, george bellas, david chastain, buckethead, malmsteen, michael lee firkins, becker, friedman, rusty cooley, michael harris.

Thanks
smile.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 25
Check out Pelican. It's probably a little different than some of the stuff you've listed but it's dang good instrumental rock/metal(ish) music that's excellent for the 'phones.

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 25
You might want to try Russian Circles, a band also from Chicago that's kinda the same. I enjoy their stuff as well... give it a shot!

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 25
"Liquid tension expreiment" is a great instrumental rock album and band
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 25
Even if you do not mention, I guess you are familiar with Joe Satriani? If not, you missed a living legend.

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 25
Be sure to check out Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes.
Here are some clips of Guthrie playing at guitar clinics to give you an idea of his playing :
YouTube - Guthrie Govan - Wonderful Slippery Thing

A few other notable players are Andy Timmons, Kee Marcelo, Eric Johnson and of course Steve Vai
smily_headphones1.gif

If you like Joe Stump, you might like to check out Chris Impelliteri.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Liquid tension expreiment" is a great instrumental rock album and band
wink.gif

I'd second Liquid Tension Experiment. Both albums they put out were fantastic. John Petrucci put out a solo album as well if you like this type of music.

Stride's first album was instrumental and was very good.

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 25
I'll second Pelican and try ISIS if you like them. Not entirely instrumental but mostly.
On the lighter side the "Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess" album is IMO quite good.
I don't own any, but am reading rave reviews for Godspeed Your Black Emperor.

I really enjoy Devon Townsends "Hummer" album...entirely instrumental and noise...aquired taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Back