recommended inexpensive meter
Sep 5, 2005 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

dsavitsk

MOT: ECP Audio
I am sure this has been asked and answered a hundred times, but searches don't seem to be finding the answer. Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive meter? I have one that is very cheap, but for an upcoming high voltage project I need a couple more -- the idea being that with several I can set them all up on various parts of the circuit such that I am not tempted to poke around with power on. Also, my current one lacks the ability to measure capacitence, so that would be a nice feature to have.

-d

Sep 5, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 34
I have a Meterman (can't remember the model off the top of my head), which is actually not bad. Ok, it's not the Fluke 179 I really wanted, but that was more than three times the price of the Meterman, so I'm not complaining (too much
wink.gif
). You might be able to find a good deal on a Fluke on ebay, but even a "good deal" can cost a fair bit of money
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Sep 7, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 34
Some of the asian DMM makers have been getting more ambitious.

Found one that does inductance to 20H, capacitance to 100uf, frequency counter from 5hz to 5mhz with duty cycle, true RMS amps & volts AC & DC, a temperature probe, a serial port, some other stuff - $75 shipped. Should be here tomorrow.

Yeah, it's not a Fluke by any stretch of the imagination. and since i've not used it, I can't say for sure whether i'd recommend it. Gets here tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
$75.
rolleyes.gif
Here's what I was looking for http://www.tubelab.com/MeterUse.htm I think I'll look into the $3.99 special. After all, a better meter is not going to make my amp sound any better.

I think that you're wrong here, because a better meter will have more accuracy and allow you to tune an amp better

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
$75.
rolleyes.gif
Here's what I was looking for http://www.tubelab.com/MeterUse.htm I think I'll look into the $3.99 special. After all, a better meter is not going to make my amp sound any better.

The author of the linked article makes a passing comment about them all being made in same factory bt that is not really telling of anything, as many meter manufacturers, including low-end ones, make several meters. Mastech/Centech are indeed the same company, they just make meters and put *anyone's* label on them.

FWIW, I have one derivative of that $3.99 meter. It is truely junk, the worse meter I have. This includes fragile tiny probes, odd/small battery that's awkward to replace, tiny display, and it's not very accurate either. Eariler yesterday I was measuring IDSS values for some JFETS and two different meters put one at 15.0-15.1 mA. The Mastech (labeled) $3 special measured 13.? mA (? meaning it doesn't have the precision to differentiate between 12.5 and 13.4) mA IF it had been accurate. It's a cute toy and that's about all. I definitely won't be buying a replacement battery for it when the original wears out.

IMO, get a Craftsman 81437 Meter on ebay. It's a fluke in disguise and they often sell for under $30 delivered.

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 34
I don't think I am completely disagreeing here. I think it is worth having one or two quality meters (so thanks for the line on the craftsman, $30 is better than $75), but for taking a bunch of voltage readings in a live tube power amp where there are high voltages and where precision is not important, I think the super cheap ones are fine.

-d

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 34
fwiw i use and have used cheap meters for ages with great results. even the $3.99 ones. they're really not too bad at all. a nicer meter would be cool but i have no compelling reason to get one right now.

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 34
I'm not suggesting every meter one owns has to be "good" quality, but there's low end and then there's really LOW end. Even if the accuracy is high enough it's still nice to have more durable leads or a larger display. If you noted that linked article, even the supposed-larger meter is dwarfed by the hand of the user whose fingers you see in one of the pictures. That makes it a usability issue too.

For high voltages though, there are more criteria like a larger (length) shatter resistant (ceramic, sand-filled) fuses. The best large type simply won't fit at all in the smallest meters even if they wanted to add them. Granted at normal voltages that won't be an issue, but on the other hand a fuse is for UNexpected conditions.

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 34
agreed on the leads point. my $7.50 meter came with crappy leads and probes. my $15 meter head much nicer leads and probes.

i find the majority of the time i use my meter i'm not using standard probes, im using leads with aligator clips or parrot clips that i made myself anyway. so much more convenient to have free hands
smily_headphones1.gif

out of interest, what are peoples thoughts on capacitance measuring function on meters? i'm intrigued, especially when using them to measure caps for eq networks (riaa or bass boost or whatever).

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #13 of 34
I think that the accuracy you are asking of a meter is an important thing to consider. But another thing to consider when trying to decide how much cash you are willing to part with is how often will you be using it?

Even at a given level of accuracy, some are more expensive and more durable than others. If you just want to make some relative measurements on a rare occasion, then you can get about anything, I suppose.

The more you use it, the better it should be, as it will be nothing more than a source of great frustration, otherwise. Silly things that should be a no-brainer can be bad, like poor jacks that cause you to have to wiggle the test leads to get a reading. You would not believe how poorly something can be made until you try to take a voltage reading with the $8 Radio Shack meter.
rolleyes.gif

*I think if you will use the thing on one project, and probably never again, then find a friend with a nice one and borrow it, rather than buying a fancy-looking paperweight that you will quickly learn to hate.

*If you will use it on an occasional, but ongoing basis, then spend $35-$70 and get something with acceptable accuracy and durability.

*If you will use it on a regular basis, then pony up and spend $120 and up to get the features you need and a durable, accurate, repairable meter, and have it calibrated.

That's just my opinion on this, of course. I've owned (and do own) a lot of meters, and a poor one will frustrate you, and waste your time with erroneous readings and intermittent operation. I still have the big analog Simpson that my father used in the Air Force many years ago, and it is excellent for some applications, and is solid and reliable. But it's not for everything.

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #14 of 34
I agree. My last multimeter ($80 AUD) developed an intermittant fault, probably a dry solder joint or something. My current one, which is worth about $50 more is a lot more solid and has a HUGE lcd display, also has RS232 connection and a few other nifty features.

note: for the record this is the one I have http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM1460

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 34
It always seems like a lot of $ when you are handing it over... but when you are using the thing, taking measurements, or debugging a board- not having to wonder if the meter is working properly has a soothing effect.
Something that helps at times like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back