Recommended IEMs, Sub $80?
Feb 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Agony

100+ Head-Fier
As the title says, I'm looking for a nice set of IEMs under $80. I'm looking for a nice, punchy and impactful bass, and above-decent highs, or vice-versa.

My main genres of music are dubstep, electro, and alternative rock. Any suggestions? I've been looking at Phiaton's PS210 but I've heard the bass impact is a bit weak.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 8
ViSang R02. The "cheaper version" of the M2/R03 (see Joker's reviews of these).

They fit your request: warm/gentle sound signature with passable highs and doesn't forget the bass.

I have a pair and honestly I don't know how I could be happier than I am with these.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
ViSang R02. The "cheaper version" of the M2/R03 (see Joker's reviews of these).

They fit your request: warm/gentle sound signature with passable highs and doesn't forget the bass.

I have a pair and honestly I don't know how I could be happier than I am with these.

Um no the M1 is closer to the M2 than the R02/ProAlphas. Also, I don't think the ProAlpha's bass extends very deep. It's predominantly mid-bass.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Um no the M1 is closer to the M2 than the R02/ProAlphas. Also, I don't think the ProAlpha's bass extends very deep. It's predominantly mid-bass.

Well, I haven't had the opportunity to compare the two. But I would say that the bass is more than enough for me. I've got the Meelectronics M31's as well and the bass is not as pronounced as those, but that's mostly due to the rest of the signature not being thrown into the background just for the sake of bass than for the bass being lacking.

Joker (who has heard both) concluded that they were likely the same thing in different housing:

As for the differences between the two ViSang models, they are minute and most likely resulting from the different acoustic properties of their respective housings. The R03 sounds a little bit thicker and more ‘concentrated’ in tone, with the R02 sounding slightly more diffuse in comparison, with less immediate bass punch and more ethereal positioning. The R03 seems to place instruments with slightly more precision than the R02 but again the differences are extremely minute. I am sure there are head-fiers out there who would be able to tell the two apart without a direct comparison but I am not among them and the average consumer probably isn’t either.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 8
Don't think M31's are much of a fair comparison (the bass is kinda mushy), and I think NuForce's really complement dubstep. Brainwavz/ViSang are pretty god though from what I hear...

And the ProAlpha is the R02 but I believe the M1 is nearly identical.

Quote:

Well, I haven't had the opportunity to compare the two. But I would say that the bass is more than enough for me. I've got the Meelectronics M31's as well and the bass is not as pronounced as those, but that's mostly due to the rest of the signature not being thrown into the background just for the sake of bass than for the bass being lacking.

Joker (who has heard both) concluded that they were likely the same thing in different housing:

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Don't think M31's are much of a fair comparison (the bass is kinda mushy), and I think NuForce's really complement dubstep. Brainwavz/ViSang are pretty god though from what I hear...

And the ProAlpha is the R02 but I believe the M1 is nearly identical.

Huh, never heard the nuForce but I might have to check em out. I see them on amazon so that's free 2day shipping with Prime... The x's are the same as the m's just no mics right? That might have to be my next purchase after the GR04 :)

Right now the R02 are just perfect for my everyday listening though. I have the M31's like I said as well as the A151s also from Meelec and neither of them can really compare to the warm and fun signature of the R02, it just makes listening so enjoyable!

EDIT:: Which is of course just personal preference-- sorry to make your thread my own personal blog OP!

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 8
How about Vsonic GR06? Not sure if it suits ur genres of music, but artists like Jamie Woon and James Blake who feature dubstep in their songs sounded very good to me with vsonic gr06. It's has nice soundstage , quite airy and spacious, good instrument separation. Under 60 bucks, I feel it offers great value sound and it comes with a lot of stock tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back