Recommended IEMs for X5
Sep 18, 2005 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LoneFurrow

100+ Head-Fier
All, I need a bit of advice, please. I've been using an X5L 30GB for the last few weeks with a pair of Sony MDR-E888 ear buds, which I enjoy although the E888s can be a little bright. However, I want a pair of IEMs to cut out some of the background noise on my journeys, and to benefit from their superior sound.

I'm considering UM2s, E4Cs, Ety ER-4Ps and Super.Fi 5 Pros - What are the recommendations with an unamped X5? I've had limited opportunity to listen to any of these so will probably go with the UM2s based on other comments and reviews, but would welcome opinions.

Many thanks,
Michael

Sep 18, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 5
I would second the UM2's, for their superior tonal balance out of the X5. I don't like the way the X5 handles equalization - it introduces more problems than it solves, increasing the background noise and distorting the highs; same goes for the X5's bassboost and trebleboost options. The advantage of the UM2 over it's competitors is that IMO it doesn't require equalization quite as much, and you can keep all the gizmos off and still enjoy a relatively balanced sound. The ER-4P and E4 are both too bright to my ears out of the X5.

Of course, it depends on the tonal balance that you prefer.

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I would second the UM2's, for their superior tonal balance out of the X5. I don't like the way the X5 handles equalization - it introduces more problems than it solves, increasing the background noise and distorting the highs; same goes for the X5's bassboost and trebleboost options. The advantage of the UM2 over it's competitors is that IMO it doesn't require equalization quite as much, and you can keep all the gizmos off and still enjoy a relatively balanced sound. The ER-4P and E4 are both too bright to my ears out of the X5.

Of course, it depends on the tonal balance that you prefer.

Catscratch, thanks for your comments. My E888s need a bit of bass boost as they can be a bit bright, probably not unlike the ER-4Ps in that respect. I've tried boosting the midrange a little thru the EQ to give the X5 more of a Naim style of presentation, but have resorted to flat EQ again.

It sounds like the UM2s will work fine without an amp, which I understand is more of a pre-req with the E5s. Not that I'd spend that much on IEMs anyway!

Thanks again,
Michael

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Q: is there a significant volume deduction when EQ is on? I have Sony HD3, and it is obvious. I'm from UK, with volume limit off

Q2: does X5 have EU limit?

thanks

LFC_SL - in answer to your questions:

1) There appears to be no volume deduction with EQ, but why should there be (Sony thought-police aside)?

2) If the X5 has an EU limit, I've yet to reach it! I'm also in the UK and haven't tested max volume on the X5 as I've had no need to, even travelling on the tube. I guess it will depend on the sensitivity of your headphones, but I certainly haven't had any issues.

Overall I think the X5 is great, although it may take a while to work out an appropriate file structure for your tastes.

HTH,
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back