Recommended IEM £200 - £300
Jan 31, 2019 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Steve Guppy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for an upgrade to my 1more Triples, which I think are incredible in the sub £100 market, and was looking initially at the FiiO fh5's. But I keep reading that they have a short nozzle, and i am someone who likes a deep insertion (stop sniggering at the back please) with my IEM's.
So this has made me wary now. So I started looking at others, akg n40's, ibasso ib03, etc, and tbh, it's bewildering!!
I listen to bass heavy music, mostly across a wide genre and am generally a fan of V and W shaped sound signatures.
And advice or help from more experienced peeps would be more than welcome

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 12
Nothing wrong with a good deep insertion mate. *chortle*

Seriously though, you can snap up some awesome IEMs in that sort of price range but, as you say, there's an awful lot of choice! IMO, worth considering (and auditioning if poss) CA Orion and Comet, Fidue A83, Orivetti New Primacy, Etymotic ER3.

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 12
Nothing wrong with a good deep insertion mate. *chortle*

Seriously though, you can snap up some awesome IEMs in that sort of price range but, as you say, there's an awful lot of choice! IMO, worth considering (and auditioning if poss) CA Orion and Comet, Fidue A83, Orivetti New Primacy, Etymotic ER3.

Thanks so much. I'll have a little dig around and look at those for sure. I guess at some point though, you just gotta take the plunge and start somewhere ..

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 12
I guess at some point though, you just gotta take the plunge and start somewhere ..

Your wallet's going for a stroll, beware the rabbit hole :)

Jan 31, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 12
Your wallet's going for a stroll, beware the rabbit hole :)

Ha - Ha, I'm definitely worried about scratching this particular itch !!
On a serious note though, I'd also like to take advantage of my Q1's 2.5mm balanced output, so an interchangeable mmcx balanced cable option as a possible near-future upgrade would have to figure in the 'phones list of talents

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 12
I think every iem i suggested has a removable mmcx cable so should play nicely! Also i have a bunch of spares so can post you one (i think youre uk too?) if you want to try before you drop additional cash?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 12
I think every iem i suggested has a removable mmcx cable so should play nicely! Also i have a bunch of spares so can post you one (i think youre uk too?) if you want to try before you drop additional cash?

Seriously?! That would be amazing and I'd be more than happy to pay you for them. I did notice that they were all mmcx connected, so thanks for that. Think I'm coming down in favour of the iBasso it03 now, just because it has better fitment reviews than the fha5. And the sound signature seems to fit my liking Do you have a 2.5mm ttrs balanced cable out of interest?

Feb 1, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 12
Seriously?! That would be amazing and I'd be more than happy to pay you for them. I did notice that they were all mmcx connected, so thanks for that. Think I'm coming down in favour of the iBasso it03 now, just because it has better fitment reviews than the fha5. And the sound signature seems to fit my liking Do you have a 2.5mm ttrs balanced cable out of interest?
Yeah man. Got an old fiio cable i dont use. Drop me a pm with your addy in it and ill ping it to you.
20190201_115259.jpg

Feb 1, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 12
Hi, maybe check out Final Audio. Esp the new E series. The 5000 version may suit your needs. They are barrel shaped and detachable cables. A quick search on Head-fi should be of help. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back