Recommended High Quality 1/8" mini TRS to two 1/4" TRS?
Aug 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

shonor6

Head-Fier
Hello. I have the M-Audio BX5 D2's and I bought the first cables I could find for like $10. The thing is - I believe they suck. Sometimes I hear a split second of static noise as if the cable gets disconnected for a split of a second, even though the connection is good.

Anyways, I need a recommendation for a high quality 1/8" mini TRS to two 1/4" TRS cable to connect from my speakers to my laptop.
IDK how much good cables cost, but let's say, up to $50.

Thanks.

P.S
I do have the option to make an XLR connection instead of the TRS, but will it be any better? And if so, will it even be possible to connect it directly to my laptop?

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 12
Well the problem here mate is that all 1/8" plugs are intrinsically poor quality by nature. That's why you rarely find them on quality or pro grade equipment.

They do tend to break easy and it may well be the female socket on your PC that's the problem rather than the male on your lead.

This is a good place for leads.

http://www.studiospares.com/leads-looms+snakes/icat/sholeadsloomssnakes/?setpagenum=1&q=*

What a lot of people do now is use an outboard soundcard/audio interface connected to your PC by USB. You can find really very decent examples from as little as $100 and since you are already willing to pay $50 for a cable it might be worth saving up a bit longer and get yourself a high quality permanent solution.

M-Audio Fast Track is a bit cheaper @ ~$60 but I like the look of this one atm provided you are sure you will never use anything more than 2 in, 2 out. Around $150 equivalent.

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2/specifications

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 12
So a good setting would be something like this:
The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 w/2 pieces of this cable. At $50 each it's very expensive, but I assume that it's extremely high quality and won't cause any trouble. Or would I be just wasting money?

It's not that I'm short in cash, but I just don't wanna waste it on stuff I don't need. So would I better be off with say, something like this, or even that? I do listen to a lot of high quality loseless music, but I definitely don't deal with anything professional.

Thanks again.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 12
You can buy any possible connecter cut to any length. You just need to know where to look and what to ask for.

I don't know what the US equivalent(s) of the likes of Studiospares or Thomann are called but it should be simple to find out.

There are usually 3 different qualities.

All else being equal and in working order they will all sound exactly the same in a DBT but if you are the sort of person who hears differences in sighted tests then obviously the more expensive ones will sound better to you.

Std Grade - These will have generic connecters and cable and be moulded. If they break they are hard to fix. They are for people with not enough money.

Pro Grade - These will have branded connecters and cable and, crucially, be easy to repair if needed. These are what you want.

Luxury Grade - These will be heavily branded products with hi-fi tweaks such as gold connecters, colour coding and a glib salesman with a posh accent These are for people with too much money.

If you go decide to go down the semi pro audio interface route it makes sense to use balanced cables (3 strands- google it for more info). You could use 2 x stereo jack to stereo jack but since your speakers have XLR you might as well use 2 x stereo jack to XLR male as that will last longer and cause less damage if you mange to knock it over or something.  Any certified USB cable will be fine, including the one that comes with the unit.

Here is an example. Check and adjust the cable length as appropriate.

Xlrma-Stjk 2.5m red (for Right)

http://www.studiospares.com/leads-xlr/xlrma-stjk-25m-red-/invt/571282/?htxt=NgkxGZcIPaGzz3d5WaXqn1zg1iZuDFOFx5%2B3rS7%2FW15W7hlKKbV1RgAsGflx6DbxsZdPQnVvigh7%0AiKJ4ATQUrw%3D%3D

Xlrms-Stjk 2.5m lime (for Left)

http://www.studiospares.com/leads-xlr/xlrma-stjk-25m-green-/invt/571285/?htxt=NgkxGZcIPaGzz3d5WaXqn1zg1iZuDFOFx5%2B3rS7%2FW15W7hlKKbV1RgAsGflx6DbxsZdPQnVvigh7%0AiKJ4ATQUrw%3D%3D

If you decide to stick with what you have at the moment and connect the PC out direct to the speakers you will need a pro mini jack - 2 x monojack (unbalanced) cable.

Here is an example.

Pro Minijack - 2 X monojack 2.0m

http://www.studiospares.com/leads-minijack/pro-minijack-2-x-monojack-2m/invt/573090/?htxt=l4WD1Dqa69xsLQeJvNwRc%2B%2BRZeGLXS6ZMZxvR4gS2qL8wGRlFQlf5tjO4cKpzem0sLev3KCf4Vgl%0AWgt7eKc%2Bgw%3D%3D

Hope that helps.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks. So just to clarify: I should buy 1 red cable and 1 green cable, then buy the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, connect red from right speaker to R input and green to left, connect that device to the computer via USB and I'm good to go?

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 12
Yea, I would just make your own cable. As you may remember, I also have the D2's. I have since bought a KRK 10S sub and so I now use that cable I told you to buy as the input into my sub. From the sub to the monitors, I used Neutrik XLR connectors and Mogami W2549 cable. They are nice very nice. So if you did use that 2i2 to connect your monitors, this would be an option for you. As for the 3.5mm to dual 1/4" cable, I have been interested in upgrading mine as well. I'm going to use XLR's going to the sub, but as for the cable, I was going to use the W2549 and have the cables combine into one run of W2549 and have that go into a 3.5mm plug. It is similar to a dual entry headphone and the way you sort of have that Y shape. I'm sure you already knew this though.

EDIT: I suppose that didn't really answer your question. Yes, that setup would work. However I don't see why you need the 2i2 at all. Just make your own cable like the one you have now. However that is not to say that if you get a dac or something of the sort that it won't improve sound quality, because it may. Basically: Cheap way: Make your own 3.5mm to dual 1/4" or xlr cable. More Expensive way: Buy a DAC and then make two 1/4 to 1/4 or xlr to xlr cables.

Oh yea and I would disagree with the statement that all 3.5mm plugs are poor quality. Connectors from Neutrik and Switchcraft for instance are very nice connectors.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 12
Either way you're getting the same single ended signal. Generally speaking you won't find an XLR wired to a 1/8" stereo mini because it doesn't have a phase inverted signal on it. A TS plug is used in a TRS jack which is compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back