Recommended Headphones for Professional Office Work Environment
Sep 10, 2015 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shazb0t

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to pick up a headphone that I can use in my cubicle at work.  The environment dictates these criteria:

- Closed headphone that doesn't leak sound appreciably
- Does not require amplification (plug into work desktop)
- Full size, but needs to blend in with other smaller full size headphones you would typically see in an office environment

I have been out of the loop on headphones that meet this criteria.  I'm used to listening at home so large, open, high power req. headphones are my norm.  I'm open to all price points.  Any help in this area would be appreciated, thanks. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 8
If shipping on this isn't going to double the price, I'd recommend this - but use some DT770 earpads on it. I use the third party brands on the semi-open version, fits around my ear better. Overall the headphone earpiece diameter is smaller than many others, and much smaller than AKG K7--/6--/5--, but do note that from the front or rear the earcups will definitely make you look like you're in a studio or flying a helicopter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD-660-Closed-back-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B008FZOK3A

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 8

If shipping on this isn't going to double the price, I'd recommend this - but use some DT770 earpads on it. I use the third party brands on the semi-open version, fits around my ear better. Overall the headphone earpiece diameter is smaller than many others, and much smaller than AKG K7--/6--/5--, but do note that from the front or rear the earcups will definitely make you look like you're in a studio or flying a helicopter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD-660-Closed-back-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B008FZOK3A

Thanks for the recommendation.  I think you're right about the studio or flying a helicopter look.  I'm thinking something more along the size of an Audio Technica ath-m50x.

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 8
V-Moda Crossfades can be kind of discrete

Sep 12, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 8
For a closed-back office/travel 'phone, I really like the Oppo PM-3. Excellent SQ for the stuff I mainly listen to (rock, blues, reggae.) Very efficient, easily driven by my DAP or phone. Great robust construction, and has an elegant functional design, Never fatiguing sound-wise, and pretty light for a serious h/p.

Check-marks on all the wanna-have items, IMO. 

Sounds good enough that it's in my regular h/p rotation even when I'm at home. In fact I'm listening to it now .... Layla by Derek & the Dominos, a great h/p tune.

I have not heard all the contenders you listed, but if you get the chance, you should listen to the PM-3.

EDIT ... I meant the PM-3 on the top line!!! Geez, I don't know how I could have missed that.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Make sure to look at the Ultrasone Signature Pros. A bit more pricey but i have them and use them in the office, fantastic sound, comfortable and well made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back