Recommended Headphones for Gaming?
Oct 20, 2016 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HelpMePls

New Head-Fier
Hey again,

So I've been looking at gaming oriented headphones for a while but am still so indecisive about what I want, so I'm looking for some recommendations. I play FPS games, mainly CS:GO. Main priorities for me would be comfort, soundstage and imaging. Would prefer not to go over the price of $400 AUD (about $300 USD). Some headphones I'm considering are:
• Sennheiser HD 598SE
• AKG K7XX
• Philips Fidelio X2
• Audio Technica ATH-AD900X

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 14
This question gets asked here every other day...a quick search would answer your question,but since im here I can comment on two of the headphones you mentioned.

AKG K7XX vs. X1/X2

Overall the 7XX is a more balanced sound,brighter,less bass,but def needs an amp

The X1 or X2 is more bassy,but does not need an amp

Both are quite comfortable,but the K7XX is the most cozy headphone ive ever worn.

The X1/X2 is sturdier,so if youre prone to rage tossing your headphones after getting killed by a lagger than def go for the Philips.

The other two headphones I have not heard,so I cant comment.

TL,DR

If you have an amp and take extra careful care go for the K7XX,if you you dont have an amp grab the X1 or X2

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 14
Oct 20, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 14
  The hd598's, are by far the best choice out of those, especially for gaming.

I get that youre new around here,and perhaps you have the 598s and love them,congrats.

To post that the 598s are "by far,the best" implies the others shouldnt even be in the conversation.

Do yourself,and others a favor and dont spread rediculous statements.

Fact is theyre not even ranked higher than the X1 or X2 on the headset gaming guide.

Yes they might have good detail,but the bass is pretty mediocre,so no,they are not "by far the best"

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 14
  So I've been looking at gaming oriented headphones for a while but am still so indecisive about what I want, so I'm looking for some recommendations. I play FPS games, mainly CS:GO. Main priorities for me would be comfort, sound stage and imaging. Would prefer not to go over the price of $400 AUD (about $300 USD). Some headphones I'm considering are:
• Sennheiser HD 598SE
• AKG K7XX
• Philips Fidelio X2
• Audio Technica ATH-AD900X

Can we assume this is for a Windows PC and your going to be plugging the headphones directly into the PC's on-board audio?
The AKG 700 series (like the K7XX) are power hungry, really need to be used with a dedicated headphone amplifier.
The other three headphones you have listed are easier to drive, so -on-board audio can drive them.

Are you looking for headphones just for FPS gaming, or also for music and movies?
Are you more into bassy music, or big on vocals

A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, might improve FPS gaming and sound quality, over on-board audio.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 14
Hey,

I'd say I'll be using the headphones for 80% FPS gaming and 20% music. I usually listen to the music while I'm playing. I'm going to be buying a DAC and AMP on top of the headphones. Thinking of getting something like the O2 ODAC combo or the Schiit Stack. I'm more into bassy music than vocals, but I'd rather not have the bass distort the footsteps in FPS games.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 14
  Hey,

I'd say I'll be using the headphones for 80% FPS gaming and 20% music. I usually listen to the music while I'm playing. I'm going to be buying a DAC and AMP on top of the headphones. Thinking of getting something like the O2 ODAC combo or the Schiit Stack. I'm more into bassy music than vocals, but I'd rather not have the bass distort the footsteps in FPS games.

USB DACs bypass (add-on and on-board) sound card features, like the sound card's headphone surround sound.
Guess some games come with built in headphone surround sound, while other games rely on the sound card providing headphone surround sound.

Here is a good thread for reading up on and asking about headphone gaming.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 14
I've been using my AKG K7XX for gaming on my PS4. I can't comment on how it sounds relative to those other options but I think it sounds good. I game on PS4 and I use an Astro Gaming Mixamp to connect the headphones to the console.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 14
  I've been using my AKG K7XX for gaming on my PS4. I can't comment on how it sounds relative to those other options but I think it sounds good. I game on PS4 and I use an Astro Gaming Mixamp to connect the headphones to the console.

I tried that combo for giggles and the Astro cannot do your K7XX justice...try adding another small amp into the chain,you'll be amazed at the difference.

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 14
To be clear im not suggesting removing the MixAmp,rather add an amp after the MixAmp.That way you will still get the 7.1

I used to bridge my MixAmp to my WooAudio WA2 to game with my Beyer T1s,which is overkill,but I already had the WA2 and T1s,so why not.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 14
  To be clear im not suggesting removing the MixAmp,rather add an amp after the MixAmp.That way you will still get the 7.1

I used to bridge my MixAmp to my WooAudio WA2 to game with my Beyer T1s,which is overkill,but I already had the WA2 and T1s,so why not.

Yep, I figured that part. The Mixamp is really just to get that 7.1 out of the PS4. When you fed the Mixamp out to your WA2, did you set the volume on the Mixamp to max?

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 14

Yep, I figured that part. The Mixamp is really just to get that 7.1 out of the PS4. When you fed the Mixamp out to your WA2, did you set the volume on the Mixamp to max?

TBH i dont recall,its been two years since I had that configuration,and have since sold or traded away both my T1s and WA2.

I guess the volume on the MixAmp would be set high if your other amp doesnt have enough headroom to get the K7XX to really get going.

EDIT: Now that I think back i probably did have the MixAmp fairly loud....to get the T1s loud for music out of my WA2 I had the volume at twelve o'clock,whereas out of my Sansui it needed to be around 8-9 o'clock for the same volume.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 14
For competitive gaming like CS:GO as you mentioned, detail and imaging is much more important than immersion (bass).

All of them are relatively comfortable, with the AD900X being a tad lower than the rest.
Best soundstage and imaging in the list - AD900X.
2nd best soundstage and imaging - HD598 and more comfortable than the AD900X.
X2's are a bit too bassy and loses a bit of imaging.
K7XX is between the X2 and HD598 for imaging and immersion. I'd put it as 3rd in the list.

There's also a few more other headphones that do well for gaming, but out of the 4 you mentioned, this is my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back